Sound Is Muted After Restart

I have a sound issue on 2 computers after I updated to Plasma 5.20.2. The sound is muted when you start the computer, and I have no notification sound either. I can manually turn the sound back on, but cannot make the notification sound to work at all. I know there was a bug in KDE but I thought that was fixed in this new update! Is there any fix for this, or I just have to wait for another update?

System:
Kernel: 5.4.74-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.2 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B85M-D2V v: x.x serial:
BIOS: American Megatrends v: FC date: 06/19/2014
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Caicos PRO [Radeon HD 7450] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon
v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: radeon FAILED: ati
unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1280x1024~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.74-1-MANJARO LLVM 10.0.1)
v: 3.3 Mesa 20.2.1 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.74-1-MANJARO

check if you have pipewire installed and enabled. If the answer is yes disable both service and socket as user systemctl --user disable ....

Yes, pipewire is already installed, but I’m not following "user systemctl… Could you give me more info, as how to do it?

in terminal execute:

systemctl --user mask pipewire.socket --now
systemctl --user disable pipewire.service --now

and restart.

1 Like

Got it working now, but I still don’t have the “Notification Sounds”.

See in systemsetings5, in audio section, notification volume.

It is on in the system setting, but no sound!

It is on in the system setting, but still notification sound!
This is really wired. I have another computer with the exact spec, and programs installed, and no problem there at all. I only had this sound issue on 2 out of 7 machines.

try changing volume from systemsettings if fix issue ,and check in applications tab if notifications volume is’t muted.

Already done all that, but still no notification sound. I went back to Plasma 15.5 via Timeshift and everything is working like it suppose to.

@ddns
This is really wire! I just updated again from plasma 5.15 to 5.20.2, and everything is working again, including the notification sounds! :open_mouth: