Sony Wireless WH-1000XM4 not working

Hey guys

My Bluetooth/Wireless Sony WH-1000XM4 are not working.
I went through many forum post and articles; replaced PulseAudio server dependencies with PipeWire ones. Installed mpv Media Player and SMplayer, but still not working.

What do you recommend?

Did you read and follow this:

?

After you sent it yes!
I came from windows 10 and i did not press the Power button seven seconds like its recommended in the article.

I heard the pairing message on the headset but still no luck!

I think i messed up more by replacing PulseAudio server dependencies with PipeWire’s.

How can i reset the sound properties all back?
Can you point me to an article explaining this?

PS: Man, I Love Manjaro. And the forum support is amazing i have to say! Awesome community!

How can i reset the sound properties all back?

To revert to using PulseAudio install the metapackage manjaro-pulse

pamac install manjaro-pulse

The install should remove and replace all pipewire dependencies leaving just the base pipewire
package

Disable the PipeWire server so it does not conflict with PulseAudio

systemctl --user disable pipewire.socket pipewire.service

Delete old user settings folder from previous use of PulseAudio

rm - r ~/.config/pulse/

Reboot system and PulseAudio will recreate settings folder when started

If you still have problems getting them paired as a backup plan you can use the headphone cable that comes with the headphones. That’s how I had to hook up my earphones.

Let us know if you do better. :+1:

I removed PulseAudio folder but after reboot it has not been recreated.

Can you please share some more ways i can resolve this, and bring the audio stuff back to how it was?

Could these similar effects under Multimedia be conflicting?
How to get rid of them?

Thank you for confirming problems with PipeWire packages. This might be helpful for Manjaro Team to work out how to deal with recent changes from PipeWire

manjaro-pulse appears to have installed ok so system should have pulseaudio installed
pipewire-bluetooth is not present so pulseaudio-bluetooth should have replaced it for using headset
but pipewire-alsa is still installed so pulseaudio-alsa might not be installed for onboard audio

pipewire-jack is replacement for JACK and not related to PulseAudio. Installing jack2 should replace it

pipewire-session-manager is provided by either pipewire-media-session or wireplumber and is a required dependency for DE display packages, so it might not be removable on a Wayland DE

The systemctl --user commands failed because terminal is running as root (su?) and command cannot connect to user service manager. Commands must be run under normal user account

(@olli - tutorial has PulseAudio sytemctl commands that will not work with sudo or without --user option unless intended to run in insecure system-wide mode. Not a reliable source IMO)

I removed PulseAudio folder but after reboot it has not been recreated.

If PulseAudio failed to start it would not recreate the folder. PulseAudio might have been blocked from starting if PipeWire server session-manager still running

I suggest you reboot system and check PipeWire socket and services are disabled

systemctl --user list-unit-files | grep wire | awk '{ print $1,"\t",$2}

and check pulseaudio socket and service:

systemctl --user -l --no-pager status pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service

Thank you so much for your help so far!!!

The bluetooth program is not picking the headphones, and i clicked the headphones button for more than 7 seconds until i heard the pairing message.

These are the only 2 pipewire packages i cannot uninstall because of the dependencies.

systemctl --user list-unit-files | grep wire | awk '{ print $1,"\t",$2}

does not do anything

systemctl --user -l --no-pager status pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service

If anything else crosses your Linux brain let me know :slight_smile:

The issue remains the Bluetooth not pairing. The rest works!

It is probably trivial but did you check that the headphones are not connected to another source (i.e. mobile phone) while you try to pair?
I also have found some reports, that it worked when Linux Bluetooth is disabled initially - you put the headphones to pairing mode first and then enable Bluetooth on your computer and start search for devices.

1 Like

Man “I LOVE YOU”!!! :heartpulse:

1 Disable Bluetooth
2 Pair headphones
3 Add new device

After, the device appeared in the Bluetooth screen and i connected it!
And now i have sound.

You know what i also think? I think it’s because they came paired from Windows 10.
In fact when i restarted manjaro and booted to windows with the headphones on; windows recognized them as usual and the headphones played “bluetooth connected”.

This will help others. :clap:

Man so much frustration so far, i tweaked so many things and uninstalled software i did not need to… :man_facepalming:

God bless you!

1 Like

BTW. I removed all of these effects in terminal.
They were in usr/share/applications
Removed with “rm -r FILENAME”

I still have this two left and rm -r does not work.
How to force remove them?

@nikgnomic now that bluetooth is working, what steps can i take to clean everything and revert the multimedia stuff back to how it was?
The dependencies thing can be a bit complex. But that’s the beauty of Linux :laughing:

I don’t understand why you are posting screenshots of a terminal when it would be easier to copy/paste text here

Terminal prompt is showing # to indicate it has root privileges
The commands systemctl --user will continue to fail when run as root in terminal
The command has to be run a normal user to work with

Could these similar effects under Multimedia be conflicting?

No. They are all provided by one package lsp-plugins

How to get rid of them?

pamac remove lsp-plugins

The dependency problems are recent, from changes in package updates

1 Like

I don’t understand why you are posting screenshots of a terminal when it would be easier to copy/paste text here

You’re right. It’s stupid! Won’t happen again.

pamac remove lsp-plugins

This worked! :slight_smile:

The dependency problems are recent, from changes in package updates

Yes, i’ve been noticing strange things, like taskbar icons disappearing and replaced by other icons when you remove some packages.
I’ve noticed it via Pamac GUI (Add/Remove Software).

I will create separate thread on this and i’m available to provide extra info and test things out, to help the devs if needed.
This will improve my knowledge in Linux anyway.