Something is blocking nfs

Hi Folks,

I exported some folders and restarted nfs-server.
showmount -e is correct on the server side but can’t read on the client side. The firewall is disabled on the client.

showmount -e 192.168.1.11
clnt_create: RPC: Timed out

rpcinfo -p also timed out as below:

rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.11
192.168.1.11: RPC: Remote system error - Connection timed out

On a side note if I boot other distros (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE) the client reads OK.

What can be blocking these outputs on the server side (Manjaro)?

root@manjaro:/home/brad# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    n/a
Distributor ID: ManjaroLinux
Description:    Manjaro Linux
Release:        24.0.7
Codename:       Wynsdey
root@manjaro:/home/brad# uname -a
Linux manjaro.gattaca.net 6.2.0-2-rt3-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Sun Apr 16 02:12:15 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

mountd port was closed, opened in firewall and all traffic is allowed now.

ensure you exported the correct ip’s for the share on the server side

See the mini guide → [root tip] [How To] Share data using NFS - pay attention to the comment on IPv6.

The mother source → NFS - ArchWiki

You claim there is something blocking NFS. Why, can you connect to it via localhost?

Is it running?

You can even check all your processes listening on a port with: With sudo ss -tnlp

You can see (or just grep for) the slew of rpc.* processes listening (for both IPv4/6).

Is it not? What are the logs when you try to start it?

It may not have anything to do with your issue, but 6.2 kernel? That looks like the system has not been updated in a long time. If that is the case, I would complete a full system update and see if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

Excellent point, I never thought about that, I am updating every month and all was good but I just thought that the kernel was behind other distros. I always used pacman for updates:

pacman -Suy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

also:

pamac checkupdates -a
Your system is up to date.
root@manjaro:/home/brad# pamac upgrade -a
Warning: Building packages as dynamic user
Warning: Setting build directory to /var/cache/pamac
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Nothing to do.                                                                                                                         
Transaction successfully finished.
root@manjaro:/home/brad# 

I manually installed 6.9.12-3;

uname -a
Linux manjaro.gattaca.net 6.9.12-3-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Aug  7 16:19:28 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and purge the old ones. Now:

mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 6.9.12-3-MANJARO (linux69)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux69
   * linux62-rt
   * linux69-rt

Can somebody answer why the kernel was not updated in the last months?

Run manjaro-settings-manager -m msm_kernel to list kernels currently available for installation.

Also, you probably have .pacnew & .pacsave files that need addressing, as the community repo has been gone for more than a year. Not maintaining your system will eventually result in a broken system:

Note: if pacdiff is not available on your system, then you need to to install the pacman-contrib package which provides the pacdiff command.

1 Like

As per https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/System_Maintenance#Pacnew_and_Pacsave_files

• Always sync metadata and packages together pacman -Syu

I can connect (ping, ssh).

ss -plnt|grep rpc.*
LISTEN 0      4096         0.0.0.0:111        0.0.0.0:*    users:(("rpcbind",pid=1178,fd=5),("systemd",pid=1,fd=107))                                            
LISTEN 0      4096         0.0.0.0:45291      0.0.0.0:*    users:(("rpc.statd",pid=1187,fd=9))                                                                   
LISTEN 0      4096         0.0.0.0:20048      0.0.0.0:*    users:(("rpc.mountd",pid=1188,fd=5))                                                                  
LISTEN 0      4096            [::]:111           [::]:*    users:(("rpcbind",pid=1178,fd=7),("systemd",pid=1,fd=109))                                            
LISTEN 0      4096            [::]:58211         [::]:*    users:(("rpc.statd",pid=1187,fd=11))                                                                  
LISTEN 0      4096            [::]:20048         [::]:*    users:(("rpc.mountd",pid=1188,fd=7))                                                                  

:point_up_2:
Worth trying e.g. linux66 (LTS) and/or the latest HWE kernel. It’s possible that necessary modules aren’t available for this (or your previous) kernel any more.

mhwd-kernel -l
available kernels:
   * linux419
   * linux510
   * linux515
   * linux54
   * linux61
   * linux610
   * linux611
   * linux66
   * linux69
   * linux61-rt
   * linux610-rt
   * linux66-rt
   * linux69-rt

The kernel gets updated within it’s version.
Once that version becomes obsolete - no updates anymore - but the system also won’t pull the rug out under your feet and just silently transfer you to a different version.

That is something you have to consciously (or is it: knowingly/voluntarily?) do.

It may (and probably will) remind you that newer are available - but it won’t force you to use them.

2 Likes

Indeed it does, at least on my systems. An advisory notification telling you to please update the kernel as it’s out of date, something along those lines.

it makes sense. I wrongly thought the pacman would upgrade the kernel like it did in the last 4-5 years.

Anyhow I installed 6.6.46-1:

uname -a
Linux manjaro.gattaca.net 6.6.46-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Aug 14 17:17:23 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux
1 Like

Screenshot_2024-08-22_17-20-24