Some Settings Keep Reverting to Default

Is there any way of identifying why some changes to settings get saved and while others do not? I have been having a recurring problem where some settings keep resetting/reverting back to default, while others do not.

For example, I have recently done a fresh install of Manjaro and all personalisation to KDE Plasma persists, but changes to audio do not. I have headphones connected to the 9mm jack and 5.1 speakers connected via an amp by HDMI. Every now and again though, Manjaro will forget the 5.1 output and default back to stereo, so I have to go into Settings-Audio-Configure Audio Devices to change it back. This will happen randomly, and does not seem to be affected by rebooting (sometimes I’ll reboot and the settings have been remembered and sometimes it’ll reset while on and idle after a while).

I thought this was exclusive to the audio but I’ve recently noticed that recent changes to VLC player preferences were not being saved and I’m now wondering if there’s a larger problem I need to fix. Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can offer.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time