Some packages in Manjaro ARM and Arch Linux are not present in Manjaro repositories

Being used to Manjaro ARM, I really enjoyed most of the useful tools that were not that much breaking to the OS from Arch repositories were synced to Manjaro ARM repositories as well. However on Manjaro X86 those packages are missing for some reason. Why you no longer sync them and what caused upon that decision?

Here’s the list of the packages I am thinking about:

• arch-wiki-docs (I thought it could be replaced by some package like manjaro-wiki-docs as I knew Manjaro has its own Wiki as well, but I couldn’t find something like that in repositories as well),
  • devtools (it’s self-explaining why I really want it to be in Manjaro as well).

I would appreciate to see these packages back in Manjaro repositories, I know I could easily download them from the Arch Wiki website, but I would like to have an easy solution to keep them up-to-date. The other solution would be to quit Manjaro repositories (and overall Manjaro) and switch to Arch, which would consume much more time, but I think I’m able to do that, either by switching to Arch repositories directly or reinstalling the root to Arch.

I’m right now on testing branch, I wish to see these packages at least there if you can’t push them to stable for some reasons.

That’s not a bad idea, however nothing really utilizes it except arch-wiki-lite and wikiman in the AUR.

We have our own development tools in place of Arch’s tools:

extra/manjaro-efi-utils 20170307-1
    efi utils for manjaro-tools-iso
extra/manjaro-tools-base 0.15.12-1 (manjaro-tools)
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (base tools)
extra/manjaro-tools-base-git r2952.bc23dce-1 (manjaro-tools) [installed]
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (base tools)
extra/manjaro-tools-iso 0.15.12-6 (manjaro-tools)
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (ISO tools)
extra/manjaro-tools-iso-git r2952.bc23dce-1 (manjaro-tools)
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (ISO tools)
extra/manjaro-tools-pkg 0.15.12-1 (manjaro-tools)
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (packaging tools)
extra/manjaro-tools-pkg-git r2952.bc23dce-1 (manjaro-tools) [installed]
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (packaging tools)
extra/manjaro-tools-yaml 0.15.12-1 (manjaro-tools)
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (yaml tools)
extra/manjaro-tools-yaml-git r2952.bc23dce-1 (manjaro-tools)
    Development tools for Manjaro Linux (yaml tools)
4 Likes

Thank you for your answer,

I noticed some of the tools in manjaro-tools-* packages are almost the clones of some of the scripts from Arch’s devtools – however, they’re distributed under different file names, which lead me to confusion. As some tools are no different that the Arch’s counterpart and has exactly same syntax, maybe it would be a good idea to provide at least a set of symlinks to ensure the compatibility with the Arch Linux scripts for these tools? It would also help the users to find them with pacman -F.
I’m still happy at least devtools can be provided with the manjaro tools, but as there’s no Manjaro’s arch-wiki-docs counterpart, why not sync this package from Arch? I don’t think that this package is destructive and I personally would like to see it on Manjaro even if there would be some package like manjaro-wiki-docs, as there’s still difference between these two wikis…

however nothing really utilizes it except arch-wiki-lite and wikiman in the AUR

I still prefer it for offline browsing as a source of the knowledge that may help to solve some common problems with Linux software that I never met before or have limited knowledge about. The package utilization is another thing why it would be great to have it in Manjaro repositories.

2 Likes

You have some good ideas there. Perhaps when @oberon has some time he could take a look.

Adding to this, as this seems to cause me issues when trying to use aurutils with the --chroot build option. Additionally, using devtools/devtools-git from the AUR repo may work for some (I’m encountering some issues at the moment with it, but that may be related to other tooling issues).