[SOLVED] Video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee wont work

SOLUTION: Install optimus-manager in the guide of the solution

Hi, Im new to this forum and i have a really basic knowledge of GNU/Linux
I installed Manjaro GNOME because i find AUR really cool and because i wanted to try an Arch Linux based distro and I have a problem, the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee driver doesnt work. No matter how hard i try to find on google and to reinstall without success the drivers still wont work. If i open nvidia-settings it doesnt work but by opening via terminal it reveals that it doesnt load the drivers. nvidia-smi says that it cannot communicate with the drivers. If u wonder Im running Manjaro Linux GNOME on Wayland(also on xorg the drivers still wont work and it stucks with 960x540 and i cannot change resolution while in Wayland it runs on the native resolution) and on the 5.8 kernel and the laptop haves:
CPU: I3-4005U @ 1.7Ghz
GPU: NVIDIA 920M
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB
And its an ASUS Laptop if u need the exact model i’ll edit the post
Native resolution: 1366x768

Thanks in advance!

P.S: on Google Meet i cannot share my screen.
Thank you @pobrn @sawdoctor for helping me. Now when I switch to nvidia i see the graphics card in the gnome settings. Thanks again, I was banging my head in the wall trying to fix this. Also now I tested Google Meet for the screen sharing and it works like a charm. Thanks, really!

This most probably caused by you using Wayland. Furthermore, NVIDIA and Wayland are not best friends. I’m not even sure if Bumblebee is even compatible with Wayland, I think it’s not.

1 Like

Any reason you want to use bumblebee rather than nvidia-prime ? Pretty sure your card is compatible with nvidia-prime, its very similar to bumblebee in implementation and is the preferred hybrid graphics option in manjaro

1 Like

According to this, the last driver to support the GeForce 920M was the 430.40, which is not PRIME render offload capable.

1 Like

i didnt know of alternatives :sweat_smile: and i saw on the wiki bumblebee

what do you mean about not PRIME render offload capable?

how can i set nvidia-prime?

Here’s a guide on the hybrid graphics options for manjaro including bumblebee. I thought your card was compatible with the 440 driver’s but it may not be

1 Like

by the way im using video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee

Do you see video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime or video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime in mhwd?

no only video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee, video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee, video-nvidia-418xx and video-nvidia-390xx and video-linux video-modesetting video-vesa. I only have video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee installed

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.