Audio Card not recognized since last update

Hello,

Since I’ve updated my computer I don’t have audio anymore. Manjaro-pulse is installed.

Pavucontrol shows a dummy output, my usb webcam but not my motherboard audio card. Same with alsamixer. I’m not sure how to fix this, I’ve tried various fix without success.

Thanks,

Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
    bus-ID: 1-3:2 v: kernel alternate: snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_pci
    serial: Ucamera001 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: ARC Camera type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Sound API: ALSA v: k5.10.167-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Interface: sndio v: N/A running: no
  Sound Server-1: JACK v: 1.9.22 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 running: no

Here is my inxi -A for comparison:

Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio
    driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.12-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 running: yes

Your PipeWire isn’t running, try looking for issues with

journalctl --boot=0 --grep="audio|pipew"

Are you running on kernel LTS 5.10? There is a newer LTS 5.15 available, it might help if the root issue is caused by package vs kernel versions, which is hard to diagnose.

Maybe try to switch to SOF with the snd-intel-dspcfg module. Probably you need to upgrade the kernel to v5.15.

Also there is hdajackretask to adjust the pins when using snd_hda_intel (package: alsa-tools).

Why it happens? No idea :man_shrugging:

If this is a desktop system, the onboard audio device (Intel Cannon Lake PCH) has the correct driver snd_hda_intel and Sound Open Firmware driver is not needed.
snd_sof_pci driver is only needed to support internal digital microphone array on Intel laptop systems

Pavucontrol creates Dummy Output sink when there are no other sinks available for audio playback

I suggest first to check pavucontrol --tab=5 Configuration tab for Built-In Audio device
the card Profile might be set to either ‘Off’ or an input-only Profile

If the tab does not show onboard audio device, I suggest installing latest Long Term Support kernel v6.1

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux61 

If the Configuration tab still does not show onboard audio device with new kernel, Use these commands to check ALSA playback devices and error messages:

aplay -l; sudo dmesg | grep snd
1 Like

Sorry for the delay, I was away from the desktop for a few days.

@mishmosh

I’ve tried various kernel, from the one I’ve installed the OS with 4 year ago to the latest 6.1.12-1

I don’t want to run pipewire, although I did test if audio worked with it by installing the manjaro-pipwire package (or whatever it is called) but it didn’t.

@megavolt

Can you provide some ressource to switch to snd-intel-dspcfg? same with hdajackretask I get “no codec found. Sorry”

@nikgnomic
This is indeed a desktop.

The configuration tab only shows the usb-camera “mono-input” , “off”

I’m on the latest LTS kernel

Here’s the output of

aplay -l; sudo dmesg | grep snd
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
[    8.750097] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: dmic_detect option is deprecated, pass snd-intel-dspcfg.dsp_driver=1 option instead
[    8.750112] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    9.035643] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])
[    9.157994] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: Unknown capability 0
[    9.262444] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: CORB reset timeout#1, CORBRP = 0
[    9.263991] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: no codecs found!
[   10.033128] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
[   19.667031] Modules linked in: overlay qrtr uvcvideo videobuf2_vmalloc videobuf2_memops 8192eu(OE) snd_usb_audio videobuf2_v4l2 videobuf2_common snd_usbmidi_lib snd_rawmidi videodev snd_seq_device mc cfg80211 mousedev snd_sof_pci_intel_cnl snd_sof_intel_hda_common soundwire_intel soundwire_generic_allocation soundwire_cadence snd_sof_intel_hda snd_sof_pci snd_sof_xtensa_dsp snd_sof snd_sof_utils soundwire_bus snd_soc_skl snd_soc_hdac_hda snd_hda_ext_core snd_soc_sst_ipc snd_soc_sst_dsp snd_soc_acpi_intel_match snd_soc_acpi snd_soc_core vfat fat snd_compress ac97_bus i915 snd_pcm_dmaengine intel_rapl_msr snd_hda_intel snd_intel_dspcfg intel_rapl_common snd_intel_sdw_acpi eeepc_wmi intel_tcc_cooling snd_hda_codec asus_wmi x86_pkg_temp_thermal drm_buddy snd_hda_core intel_powerclamp ledtrig_audio sparse_keymap snd_hwdep coretemp iTCO_wdt ttm snd_pcm intel_pmc_bxt platform_profile rapl ee1004 rfkill iTCO_vendor_support mei_pxp mei_hdcp wmi_bmof r8168(OE) spi_nor drm_display_helper snd_timer
[   19.667115]  intel_cstate snd cec mei_me mtd i2c_i801 intel_uncore video intel_gtt soundcore mei i2c_smbus pcspkr mac_hid wmi acpi_pad ip6t_REJECT nf_reject_ipv6 xt_hl ip6t_rt ipt_REJECT nf_reject_ipv4 xt_LOG nf_log_syslog xt_limit xt_addrtype xt_tcpudp xt_conntrack nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4 libcrc32c ip6table_filter ip6_tables iptable_filter uhid crypto_user fuse bpf_preload ip_tables x_tables ext4 crc32c_generic crc16 mbcache jbd2 usbhid dm_crypt cbc encrypted_keys trusted asn1_encoder tee dm_mod crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul crc32c_intel polyval_clmulni polyval_generic gf128mul ghash_clmulni_intel sha512_ssse3 aesni_intel crypto_simd cryptd spi_intel_pci xhci_pci spi_intel xhci_pci_renesas
[   25.656788] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: CORB reset timeout#1, CORBRP = 0

Thanks

It is not actually switching to that. I’ve done it recently that way:

1. Open a terminal and type there to follow the kernel messages:
sudo dmesg --follow-new
  1. Close any application which uses sound at any matter.

2. Open a second terminal and stop the sound server:

systemctl --user stop pipewire
# If you still uses pulseaudio you need this:
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio
  1. Unload the driver:
sudo modprobe -rv snd_hda_intel
  1. Switch the config:
sudo modprobe -v snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=3

:notebook: Moreinformation by this command: modinfo snd-intel-dspcfg

1. Check which driver was loaded:
inix -Aazy

Also the first terminal should show information.

1. Start the sound server again:
systemctl --user start pipewire
# If you still uses pulseaudio you need this:
systemctl --user start pulseaudio
  1. Check if there is any difference.

:notebook: Note that these steps are only temporary. To make it work permanently, you need to add a config at /etc/modprobe.d/.

About hdajackretask, I made this recently: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS | Conexant CX20632 | No sound at HDMI or DisplayPort - #2 by megavolt However, when I read this:

That I would say you need SOF instead or for some reason it cannot detect your sound device. :man_shrugging:

I tried your procedure, with no success.

I’m really at loss here.

Cmo’n people. I also have similar issue

This is indeed a desktop.

System has the correct driver snd_hda_intel

Can you provide some ressource to switch to snd-intel-dspcfg?

Sound Open Firmware (SOF) driver is for Intel laptops only

Forcing use of SOF driver is not needed for a desktop system that does not have an internal digital microphone array

Intel Laptops since Kaby Lake era have built-in digital microphone array and need SOF driver for the microphone

Response from aplay -l shows only title line – no playback devices detected in ALSA

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

dmesg states – no codecs found! and does not detect Realtek ALC887-VD codec

dmesg also shows a misconfiguration

dmic_detect option is deprecated, pass snd-intel-dspcfg.dsp_driver=1 option instead

Option snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0 was the old method to disable SOF driver,
but was deprecated 2 years ago and replaced by snd-intel-dspcfg.dsp_driver=1
Option is outdated and not suitable for a desktop system, and is likely causing ALSA to fail to detect audio codec

I suggest:

1. Remove option snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0 from system
    (may have been added in a file /etc/modprobe.d/ or kernel boot option in /etc/default/grub)

2. Reboot system and check in BIOS that onboard audio device is turned on

3. check if audio device is detected in ALSA - aplay -l

4. If no device is detected get a full ALSA diagnostic – sudo alsa-info.sh --upload

1 Like

@nikgnomic

Thanks a lot for going over the solution that didn’t work and reasons why.

I didn’t had any snd option set (I tried that option but removed it as it didn’t change anything)

There is indeed no audio device detected with aplay -l.

Here is the diagnostic url

http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=682797dc9fb46e892372f0ae0e223451fbb00b2b

@frolic_fringe The only thing I could imagine now, is that the Audio is disabled in the UEFI Settings. That is perfectly doable. Otherwise, the Audio Device is gone. :man_shrugging:

Damn, I didn’t though about a material issue up to this point, thanks

I’ve booted with two live iso, ubuntu LTS and manjaro. Both have non working audio. There are only two audio related option in my BIOS (enable HD audio and sth else) I’ve tried switching them to no avail.

I guess the issue is my hardware, not sure what happened as even hdmi audio is not working.

I’ll try flashing bios when I have some time and if that doesn’t work I will get a external usb dac.

Thanks everybody for the guidance.

Latest ALSA data is worse than previous data.
Not only is there no audio device detected; there is also no sign of snd_hda_intel driver
dmsg shows system does not even try to find codec for absent driver

!!ALSA/HDA dmesg
!!--------------

[    9.484343] usb 1-3: [6] FU [Mic Capture Volume] ch = 1, val = -1536/1536/1
[    9.484427] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
[    9.484957] usb 1-3: Found UVC 1.00 device HD Web Camera (05a3:9331)
--
[   19.115176] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 797 at /tmp/pamac-build-al/rtl8192eu/src/rtl8192eu-linux-driver/core/rtw_mlme.c:4744 rtw_restructure_ht_ie 0x4ca/0x4f0 [8192eu]
[   19.115294] Modules linked in: overlay qrtr uvcvideo snd_usb_audio videobuf2_vmalloc snd_usbmidi_lib videobuf2_memops videobuf2_v4l2 snd_hwdep snd_rawmidi videobuf2_common snd_seq_device 8192eu(OE) snd_pcm videodev snd_timer snd mousedev mc soundcore cfg80211 vfat fat i915 eeepc_wmi intel_rapl_msr asus_wmi intel_rapl_common drm_buddy intel_tcc_cooling ledtrig_audio x86_pkg_temp_thermal ttm intel_powerclamp sparse_keymap iTCO_wdt platform_profile coretemp intel_pmc_bxt rfkill ee1004 mei_pxp iTCO_vendor_support mei_hdcp drm_display_helper rapl wmi_bmof i2c_i801 cec spi_nor r8168(OE) mei_me intel_cstate intel_gtt intel_uncore pcspkr mtd mei i2c_smbus video wmi acpi_pad mac_hid ip6t_REJECT nf_reject_ipv6 xt_hl ip6t_rt ipt_REJECT nf_reject_ipv4 xt_LOG nf_log_syslog xt_limit xt_addrtype xt_tcpudp xt_conntrack nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4 libcrc32c ip6table_filter ip6_tables iptable_filter uhid crypto_user fuse bpf_preload ip_tables x_tables ext4 crc32c_generic crc16 mbcache jbd2
[   19.115492]  usbhid dm_crypt cbc encrypted_keys trusted asn1_encoder tee dm_mod crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul crc32c_intel polyval_clmulni polyval_generic gf128mul ghash_clmulni_intel sha512_ssse3 aesni_intel crypto_simd cryptd spi_intel_pci xhci_pci spi_intel xhci_pci_renesas

If system doesn’t work on 2 Live ISOs it probably is a hardware failure

I’ve updated the bios with the latest version in a last ditch effort, no changes.

It’s certainly hardware failure, but I don’t see anything after a visual inspection of the motherboard.

Thanks a lot @nikgnomic and @megavolt for your detective work.

I’ll mark it resolved.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.