[Solved] Installing Microsoft Fonts

How do I install all of them?

I can’t install them with the packages ttf-ms-fonts and ttf-ms-win10 because they don’t exist anymore.

are - where they always were - in AUR.

First you should update:

pamac upgrade -a

The fonts can be installed via

pamac build ttf-ms-fonts 

or

pamac build ttf-ms-win10

They are conflicting, so you have to decide.

As mentioned by @cscs, check carefully if it’s legal for you to use the win10 fonts.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I just found that same solution in another forum, but this doesn’t include all the fonts. Are there other packages?

I guess these?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=ttf-ms&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go

(of course to mention again - these arent necessarily legal depending on your local laws and whether you own a microsoft license, etc … a number of the packages require you to have access to your own fonts from some install media)

Thanks for replying

I’m a bit confused here. ttf-ms-win10 seems to contain all the fonts that I need, but I can’t build it with the pamac command. I get the following error:

** (pamac:88896): CRITICAL **: 21:24:20.364: g_ptr_array_get_length: assertion ‘self != NULL’ failed

** (pamac:88896): CRITICAL **: 21:24:20.364: g_ptr_array_get_length: assertion ‘self != NULL’ failed

cp: cannot stat ‘/var/lib/pacman/sync/*.files’: No such file or directory
Resolving dependencies…
Checking inter-conflicts…

To build (1):
ttf-ms-win10 10.0.18362.116-2 AUR

Edit build files : [e]
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N]

Please read the PKGBUILD.
(which you should be doing for any AUR package)

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=ttf-ms-win10

tidbit:

# BUILD INSTRUCTIONS:
# -------------------
#
# Please note, that usage of Microsoft fonts outside running Windows
# system is prohibited by EULA (although in certain countries EULA is invalid).
# Please consult Microsoft license before using fonts.
#
# You can acquire fonts either from an installed and up-to-date Windows 10
# system or the most recent install medium.
#
# On the installed Windows 10 system fonts are usually located in
#       C:\Windows\Fonts
# and license file is
#       C:\Windows\System32\Licenses\neutral\_Default\Core\license.rtf
#
# How to acquire fonts from Windows 10 install medium...

(I will also leave this here: Arch User Repository - Manjaro)

Hi thanks for replying. I do have a valid license and found all the fonts and the license in the corisponding folders. However I was still not able to build these even after placing all the fonts and the license in the /var/lib/pacman/sync/ folder. I don’t really know what I am doing wrong.

According to the error it can’t find my fonts.

I’m really at my limit here. I uses the git clone and pasted all files in the same folder as the
PKGBUILD file. I also commented out the the packages that I don’t need and ran this command, which skips SHA checks, since only a few fonts didn’t match.

makepkg -s -f --skipinteg

However after building it. I still could not select the fonts in LibreOffice, so I guess they were not really installed in a “clean way”. Where did I go wrong?

You missed to install it by

makepkg -i

makepkg(8) — Arch manual pages

1 Like

Thank you! That seems to have solved it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.