Slow Boot Time (firmware)

What I mean is that with some USB devices connected a PC or laptop may take long time to boot. That’s caused by UEFI scanning for available boot options provided by such devices.

Also it would be nice if you checked the output of the following commands:
systemd-analyze critical-chain
systemd-analyze blame
journalctl --no-pager --no-hostname -b -p3

I am sorry it took me forever to reply: I moved to another city in the meanwhile and had to go through mounting a wifi antenna to my desktop.

Whilst I was doing it, I removed the two unused drives. This has caused the performance of my system to improve quite a bit.

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 26.428s (firmware) + 10.588s (loader) + 4.039s (kernel) + 11.466s (userspace) = 52.522s 
graphical.target reached after 3.944s in userspace

Your firmware (BIOS) is obviously busy during start-up. You have to find out what makes initialization process take so much time. As I wrote above, make sure your USB devices provide no unnecessary (for you) boot options, which are being scanned for when you power up your machine.

Thanks! Might I ask: how exactly I might do that? Besides trying to take them out one of the time and comparing the results!

I don’t understand what’s the problem. It shouldn’t be too hard to pull out everything from USB ports except for keyboard and mouse, should it? Boot once this way and check what time it takes with systemd-analyze.
Or, even easier, just type now efibootmgr -v and post the output here.

Well, I will try that (although besides my keyboard and mouse, I have a microphone and webcam connected).

However, I think it is of interest the fact that running

efibottmgr -v

yield

EFI variables are not supported on this system

You installed your system with Legacy BIOS mode enabled. Wrong choice for any mobo released after 2012… You need to switch your BIOS to UEFI mode and disks from MBR to GPT…

The partition table is GPT though. I’ll try installing again, leaving alone the home partition