Shutdown takes much longer

Do you have a CD/DVD in the drive? If so, eject it and try to power off again.

I don’t have one in the drive.

sr0 is usually an optical drive, that’s why I asked. Your journal only shows errors concerning sr0.

Try jurnalctl -b-1 (without -p3).

I have windows on a second harddrive, could that be the reason?

EDIT: That is 11245 lines is there an easy way to copy all this, i don’t seem to be able to copy it all in one go?

Try journalctl -xe -b-1. If it is too long use pastebin.

journalctl -xe -b-1
░░ The job identifier is 11860.
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj==unconfined msg='unit=systemd-reboot comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hos>
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj==unconfined msg='unit=systemd-reboot comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" host>
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro systemd[1]: Reached target Reboot.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit reboot.target has finished successfully
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░  
░░ A start job for unit reboot.target has finished successfully.
░░  
░░ The job identifier is 11859.
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro systemd[1]: Shutting down.
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro systemd[1]: Hardware watchdog 'iTCO_wdt', version 0
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro kernel: watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro systemd[1]: Set hardware watchdog to 10min.
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro systemd-shutdown[1]: Syncing filesystems and block devices.
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro haveged[263]: haveged: Stopping due to signal 15
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro haveged[263]: haveged starting up
Oct 12 05:23:05 jan-manjaro systemd-journald[265]: Journal stopped
░░ Subject: The journal has been stopped
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░  
░░ The system journal process has shut down and closed all currently
░░ active journal files.
lines 2183-2208/2208 (END)

EDIT: I also managed to make a photo of the error on shutdown

So … uh … whats that ‘oldroot’ directory thats mounted and seems to not want to unmount?
(its not standard … so its something particular to you)

1 Like

I think thats something from the live image…

Try to disable watchdog. Upon boot press e at the grub menu entry, then go to the end of the linux line and write nmi_watchdog=0. Here’s how mine looks for an example (ignore the other parameters I have there):

linux   /vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/vgManjaro-lvol0 rw  resume=/dev/vgSwap/lvol0 quiet scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1 zswap.enabled=1 zswap.max_pool_percent=13 zswap.compressor=lz4 zswap.zpool=z3fold nmi_watchdog=0 mitigations=off

The press F10 (I think) to continue booting and then test it.

It would be good to clarify this. Do you mount it manually or what?

I don’t have it on my current system, but i remember having seen it when using the live medium.

I have no idea waht oldroot is, but i found this in the archived manjaro forum:

Is that the line where i should add nmi_watchdog=0 it looks quiet a bit different compared to yours.

When i “installed”/connected my windows drive it, i booted it in manjaro and ran sudo update-grub after that at launch i get a screen where i can choose. I don’t think that counts as manually.

Yes, navigate to the line starting with linux, click END, SPACE and type nmi_watchdog=0 then press F10.

It’s system specific and I have some personal settings there. That’s why it is so different.

I’m not sure I understand this. You can choose what and where? And, is Windows on an external drive also? Or have you removed it with fear of overwriting it when installing Majnaro?

I can select the os i want to boot here. Yes Windows is on a seperate hard drive, but it is internal not external. I Removed it in case i broke something and installed Manjaro on a fresh SSD. After the installation i connected it again.

Adding nmi_watchdog=0 solved the issue and i no longer get the error message. My Shutdown time is also back to normal.

EDIT: Thank you for the help

1 Like

Ok, to make it permanent edit /etc/default/grub and add it to end of the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=, like this (ignore the rest of my personal parameters):

[mbb@mocho-desktop ~]$ cat /etc/default/grub
[...]
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/vgSwap/lvol0 quiet scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1 zswap.enabled=1 zswap.max_pool_percent=13 zswap.compressor=lz4 zswap.zpool=z3fold nmi_watchdog=0 mitigations=off"
[...]

You can see these are the parameters appearing in the linux line edited above.

Save your changes and then issue sudo update-grub to make it permanent.

Out of curiosity, do you know what actually caused it? Did i break something?

No, everything is fine. Watchdog is a kernel component which makes sure the system is responsive. Sometimes it just doesn’t stop on shutdown/reboot, or can’t stop a certain process from executing. I always disable watchdog on my systems. This is more useful for remote systems needing constant uptime.

Just FYI: The problem of the topic title could also be cause by this problem…

The description of the problem is different than yours and the user considered it solved. Pleaso stop hijacking other threads.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.