Should I use Kernel 5.8?

Gonna take a look.

see in testing for any lastest iso from dev

I read and understand that is the way to change the kernel, but let me rephrase my need. After what I gathered of information, I wanto know If I should wait until the manjaro team releases a manjaro version with the 5.10 LTS Kernel or Should I just install the OS with the current Kernel (5.8) and continue keeping the system up-to-date so when the 5.10 kernel becomes LTS I just change to it ?

I don’t have the OS installed yet. I’m researching before doing it , since any wrong doing is my fault alone, I don’t want to commit any errors

But I think in gui probably will be there, just not safe for long term use

you dont understand:
if your next computer is very new ,
the only way to check if this is good is to use latest version from dev iso

example : ryzen3 5000 series
you need to have any kernel 5.9 or more
see links for DE

version 5.10 is a RC ( release candidate ) means is a testing kernel , not stable
it’s not finished or well tested

so you can only use 5.9 , waiting in time version 5.10 release stable ,
and you can add this 5.10 LTS later

1 Like

Oh alright, so I’ll install the stable release and wait until 5.10 becomes LTS. My hardware is not new, most parts are already 4 years old

What I’d do is install it with the 5.8 kernel then update it to 5.9 … in case of issues, try the 5.4 LTS kernel at least as an interim measure until 5.10 is released.

The output of Terminal command
inxi --full --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host
may be of assistance as well. :smiley:

1 Like

I will reply with this command if a problem arises, when I install it, for sure :wink::+1:

1 Like

Yes, u can install and use with Kernel 5.8/5.9+. I have the same laptop and works fine here. I tested my nvidia playing ‘The Witcher 3’.

When you boot with pendrive to install and choose ‘Drivers nonfree’.

1 Like

Nice feedback, glad that I found someone with the same laptop finally. You didn’t have any issues installing the OS?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. To run aplications with Nvidia support, you should edit the menu options and put in command line ‘prime-run’(prime-run /usr/bin/vmware %U). When you launch the application(Game or VMware for example) they will run with Nvidia graphics support. It’s easy. I can play ‘The Witcher 3’ and anothers games easy.

1 Like

Nice, I feel more secure now, did you test any secondary monitor (external monitor) to see if they work ?

No until now.

1 Like

If It not much to ask could you test it @xAndre ? I’m planning to use it and I don’t know if it works

No, I can’t.

Since I am not able to start a topic in the forum yet, I am adding a reply to this one.

I’ve noticed that Manjaro is updating to linux59 by default and that this is very problematic for users with NVIDIA GPUs. I had my system broken recently because of that and had to resort to a live USB to fix things.

My first question is: why Manjaro is taking this route of adopting kernel updates so early when it is widely known that they can break the system? Most users I know install Manjaro because it is a nicer version of Arch with everything just working out of the box, with a more stable experience. This has not been the case for me recently.

And a second question: I tried to update the system today and noticed a few updates like the linux-firmware-20201120.r1785.bc9cd0b-1. I don’t know what a linux-firmware is in this context, and would like to know where I can find information about potential breaks before executing the update?

I have manually uninstalled linux59 last week using the mhwd-kernel -r linux59 command, and everything works fine in linux58 with NVIDIA. Can you please comment on other best practices for users who are not willing to break their systems again?

Thank you,

Hello @juliohm :slight_smile:

I use nvidia also and had 0 problems. I guess the problem was more that you used the 440xx driver and kernel 5.9 has no support for them. Therefore it will break your system if you don`t use a supported driver.

$ pacman -Sg linux59-extramodules | grep nvidia
linux59-extramodules linux59-nvidia-390xx
linux59-extramodules linux59-nvidia-450xx
linux59-extramodules linux59-nvidia-455xx

If you really want a stable experience i would suggest to stay on LTS Kernels like 5.4. Newer Kernels have new features, but they are also not well tested even if they are stable it does not mean there are no problems.

the linux firmware comes from here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/log/

And as you can see, it add hardware support, fixes etc… But it doesn’t include nvidia drivers, they come optional.

As mentioned above… did you install nvidia driver 450/455 ? 440 has been dropped since kernel 5.9.

And it would be good to follow the Announcements. Most people had no problems at all with the update from 2020-11-22. But if nobody mention anything there, nobody can listen.

Greetz, Megavolt

Thank you @megavolt, I’ve already fixed my situation last week. I am assuming that I can go ahead and install the firmware update without problems.

I am sticking to linux58 now since everything is working fine with it.

This should be OK for now but bear in mind that Linux58 has been marked EOL so there will be no further updates for it including security updates, so not recommended for the long term.

I’d advise trying Linux54 (LTS) or waiting for Linux510 and testing that. 510 will also be LTS. Also, the Linux59 kernel has just been updated so this may be worth another go.