Should I mount EFI partition to /boot/efi in fstab?

I followed this wiki guideline to switch to UEFI.

I have a few questions though:

1. I had to modify as discussed on Arch forum. I had the same error and I don’t what is the difference. I hope someone can clarify.

2. Anyway, the main issue here I asking to explain is this: I successfully booted to Manjaro with UEFI, But I discovered that I don’t have mounted EFI partition. Should I add an entry to fstab pointing it to /boot/efi?

I have the impression that system doesn’t need this mounting to work properly but I wonder what will happen when I will install new kernel and there are some grub updates?

1. If I want to install another distribution not Arch based, for example Debian, along with Majnaro, do I need to choose the same EFI partition or create separate? Will next disto overwrite some Manjaro entries during install or its updates? How to avoid it?
    Maybe create separate folder for each distro in /boot/efi like
    /boot/efi/Manjaro
    /boot/efi/Debian
    and mount each folder to appropriate distribution? How to deal with it?

It’s not strictly necessary for using the system on a daily basis, but it’s not a bad idea to have it mounted, even if only so you’d have read access to its contents.

On my system, I do have it mounted, but read-only, and I remount it read-write whenever I need to reinstall GRUB — which is rare, though, but it may on occasion be necessary after an update to GRUB itself.

The idea of the EFI system partition is that all UEFI-capable operating system loaders would use the same EFI partition. However, in the event of a dual-boot with Microsoft Windows it is better to give Windows its own EFI partition, because it has a habit of messing up the existing one.

This is actually already done automatically when you install another distribution. The only thing you have to be mindful of is that most distributions will claim the entry for “UEFI OS” in the EFI boot manager menu, because this is the file /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi, and in practice it’ll be a copy of the file /boot/efi/EFI/<distribution-name-here>/grubx64.efi.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.