Sharing a drive to steam for Manjaro and Windows 11

Hello,

I’m trying to find a way where I can interchangeably use Windows or Manjaro for playing Steam games.

I formatted a SSD to btrfs, and installed the driver onto Windows. The drive shows up on both OS.

I’m using a Windows VM but I’d imagine the same issue would happen on a dual-boot system.

My main issue is that I can download a game and play it on Manjaro without issues, but as soon as I boot the game on Windows the game doesn’t work anymore on Manjaro.

If I download a game on either OS, both OS recognize the game. But if I launched the game on Windows the game doesn’t work anymore on Manjaro. I usually get a missing file privileges error.

I followed Valve’s guide about sharing a drive also.

I can play the games on Windows with no issues, but Windows seems to corrupt the file that Manjaro can’t launch it.

Edit:
I’ve noticed that this doesn’t seem to be a sharing drive issue, rather it’s a my computer can’t run proton for some reason.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Proton: Upgrading prefix from 8.0-103 to 8.0-104 (/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/239030/)
fsync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
wine:18688): GStreamer-WARNING **: 16:37:51.462: Failed to load plugin '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/files/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libprotonmediaconverter.so': /home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/files/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libprotonmediaconverter.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
wine: configuration in L"/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/239030/pfx" has been updated.

Welcome to the forum :partying_face:

On the drive sharing:
The wiki link posted details a NFTS drive shared between two installs.
Your situation describes a BTRFS disk shared between two installs.

This seems a situation that you need to troubleshoot yourself or with the help of the creator of the driver for windows since this is not a windows support forum.

Some tips that can help troubleshoot on linux:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Steam/Troubleshooting

Hey-

Thank you for your help.

I realized that the issue was not the drive share, it’s something wrong with Steam and my system. Never realized that when I was able to run the steam games, I was running the native linux versions of the game.

When I opened the Windows version, the files turned into Windows exec, but it’s the same thing that Proton does.

My actual issue is that proton is not launching on my machine with the errors that I showed in the edit.

The link has some steps to take to get up and running. You might miss some libraries,
Checking what you need to do to get a game to run in the protondb would be a good source of solutions.

It would also be a good idea to provide some system info and the complete log, this snippet might not contain the complete log. Since this post is about sharing a drive a new post would be best.

Hey…

Pretty embarrassing but I managed to fix my error.

I never read over the error in the console carefully.

The output I was having was:

XRRGetOutputInfo Workaround: initialized with override: 0 real: 0xf0026db0
XRRGetCrtcInfo Workaround: initialized with override: 0 real: 0xf0025500
/usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/widgets/entry:70: error: unexpected identifier 'direction', expected character '}'
/usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/widgets/styles:36: error: invalid string constant "combobox_entry", expected valid string constant
GetWin32Stats: display was not open yet, good
GetWin32Stats: display was not open yet, good
steamwebhelper.sh[29676]: Runtime for steamwebhelper: defaulting to /home/frank/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/steam-runtime-heavy
steamwebhelper.sh[29676]: glibc >= 2.34, partially disabling sandbox until CEF supports clone3()
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 40 milliseconds to initialize
[2023-08-22 17:04:09.098] [MANGOHUD] [info] [blacklist.cpp:59] process 'vulkandriverquery' is blacklisted in MangoHud
[2023-08-22 17:04:09.098] [MANGOHUD] [info] [blacklist.cpp:59] process 'vulkandriverquery' is blacklisted in MangoHud
BRefreshApplicationsInLibrary 1: 0ms
BuildCompleteAppOverviewChange: 290 apps
RegisterForAppOverview 1: 11ms
RegisterForAppOverview 2: 11ms
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=239030 -- /home/frank/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_sniper'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/PapersPlease/PapersPlease.exe'\0
chdir "/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/PapersPlease"
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/frank/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
fsync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely

And as it shows

MangoHud was having some sort of dependency with that vulkan query. I just uninstalled mangohud and everything just works now…

Writing this so anyone that might be having the same issue could get some help.

2 Likes

That what a good Manjaro user is supposed to do :+1: Always post the solution to your issue so the thread is not a waste :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.