Setting up a Hotkey for Extract file here? (Dolphin File Manager, KDE Plasma)

I hope this is appropriate to ask here.

In Dolphin file manager, extracting a file here (and then deleting the .zip) is a frequently used action. I’d like to have a hotkey for this but I can’t quite figure it out.

I’m still adjusting and mastering my current system. Hotkeys and gestures are definitely a work in progress. I’m not especially experienced with hotkeys or any sort of scripted automation.

The goal here is to achieve a hotkey to in one key combo, extract the selected .zip file here, in Dolphin.

I don’t see anyway to make this hotkey in the Dolphin settings, or under KDE hotkey settings.

Could someone point me in the direction of how I can achieve this? Even better, would be to combine this with a delete after extracting.

I’d be inclined to look at my search engine before asking. Take a look at SearXNG…

Not sure how to tie that to a shortcut though. Running the install (copies it to services) brings up a menu item, and that magically replaces the .zip with the folder - so it’s a nice addition to the context menu.

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
X-KDE-ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=application/x-*;application/gzip;application/java-archive;application/vnd.android.package-archive;application/vnd.debian.binary-package;application/vnd.ms-cab-compressed;application/zip;application/zstd
Actions=extractAndDelete

[Desktop Action extractAndDelete]
Name=Extract Here and Delete
Name[nl]=Hier uitpakken en verwijderen
Icon=archive-extract
Exec=ark -ba %u && rm %u

Try entering the command ark -ba %u && rm %u in a script, then set that script to your shortcut… Custom shortcuts should do the trick.

Thank you. When i made this post, I had actually just came from the github. I am not sure how to implement the git package.

I had used git clone,
makepkg doesn’t have instructions so I tried “make install.” After rebooting nothing seems changed and I only have a text file with the contents you shared.

The read me for it gives no leads and I’m unsure of what keywords to find any instructions for this type of thing on the arch wiki

ROFL
download the Zip
Extract
Enter
Make ‘install’ executable and double click.

The script just does copy - did you look in the folder?

install.sh
#!/bin/bash

cp ./extract_here_and_delete.desktop ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/extract_here_and_delete.desktop

go back to the archive, right click - and you can do extract and delete.

Next open Dolphin, settings, configure context menu, unclick ‘Extract’ service menu.

Back to Dolphin, open /home/ben/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/
Add a bookmark for reference.

Thank you so much.

I am still evolving :smiley:
I decided this week to start a determined routine in aim of becoming efficient with my new work space and linux!

I guess this was a dolphin support question up after all. I was thinking that my make install was the problem, I guess it is that easy… LOL

This is my first year using ONLY linux and I’d never seen the Context Menu extension option, so “Get More” from the repo is a huge treat! (Shaking my head)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.