Setting Microphone Input to Mono

Hello everyone, I am new to Linux so thanks for bearing with me.

I have the Samson c01u microphone, and with my Manjaro KDE install it seems to have some issue with the quality of the recording. Apparently this issue is for all OS versions outside of Windows. Someone has found a specific fix for it they demonstrated on Ubuntu by changing the Microphone input to mono and adjusting the sound level in AlsaMixer, but I have been unable to replicate the fix. Specifically I don’t know how or with what program I would be able to change the input setting from stereo to mono in Manjaro KDE. Does anyone know how I might do this? Thanks for your help.

The video I found explaining my problem and the Ubuntu solution is titled “Using a Samson c01u on Linux” on YouTube.

EDIT: Seemingly found a fix, you can remap the audio for the same way that is described for speakers on the Arch wiki. Thanks to reddit user venog95385 for pointing it out. I will post it below for anyone else experiencing the same problem with the Samson c01u or any other microphone.

pactl list sources

Will show your list of audio devices, find the microphone alsa.input description and fill it for the command below

pacmd load-module module-remap-source master=alsa_input.your-usb-samsung-microphone master_channel_map=front-left,front-right channel_map=mono,mono

1 Like

You can try using Pulse Audio, install Pulse Audio with the command bellow:

sudo pacman -S pulseaudio

I used to have a different Samson microphone that required similar adjustments

If you check the list of sources again to confirm the name of the new remapped source you can use that name to set the default source

pacmd set-default-sink alsa_input.your-usb-samsung-microphone.remapped

And using the alsa.card number from the sources data to go direct to the microphone capture level control, for alsa.card = "2"

alsamixer --card=2 --view=Capture

The final thing not mentioned in the video is to save ALSA settings so the microphone level is restored whenever system is booted

sudo alsactl.store
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.