Seems Google Chrome Hardware Acceleration isn't Working

Cpu usage is very high! Trying to use igpu of Ryzen 5 4600H. kernel 5.15, chrome Version 98.0.4758.80


Did you search the forum and followed the advice?

1 Like

yes I did

Launch the web browser using the --use-gl=desktop flag to enable VA-API hardware acceleration. [[Edit] With browsers based on Chromium 91 and newer, you’ll also need to launch it with the --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder flag.

Edit:

More information:

Yes I did all of that.

--disable-gpu-driver-bug-workarounds
--use-gl=desktop
--ignore-gpu-blocklist
--enable-gpu-rasterization
--enable-zero-copy
--enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,Vulkan

According to the screenshot Hardware acceleration in already enabled. As discussed in your last 3 topics you have to verify the settings for VA-API by running vainfo. As that is giving you a issue consider going through this wiki page again.

Also open a youtube video and right click on it and check “Codes” in “Stats for nerds”. For me it shows vp09.... as VA-API is enabled.

1 Like

This is a different device. This laptop has amd igpu also… so va-api is working here perfectly… firefox is working fine with hardware acceleration.

in chrome dev tools it says hardware decode=false while watching utube video…so it is not working… chrome about:gpu section says hardwaredecoding is enabled

As per: How to Turn Hardware Acceleration On and Off in Chrome

If you’re looking to enable—or re-enable—hardware acceleration, head back to chrome://settings/system and toggle “Use hardware acceleration when available” setting to the “On” position. Then, click “Relaunch” to apply the change.

To re-enable, toggle Use hardware acceleration when available into the On position, then click Relaunch

Just checked in Chromium, and the option is there:

1 Like

Everything is enabled…
Firefox is working properly though. I think I am going to remove chrome & use only firefox.

2 Likes

and either of these flags:

 --enable-features=Vulkan
 --disable-features=UseChromeOSDirectVideoDecoder
1 Like

since enabling Vulkan has not worked remove “vulkan” from “–enable-features=” list and use

--disable-features=UseChromeOSDirectVideoDecoder
3 Likes

This worked for me. Thank you.

Yes… this worked

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.