Secure conections and systemd-resolved

For 24 hours I have not been able to access any of my Netlify sites: I get the error:

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to bidforgame.netlify.app because this website requires a secure connection.

I suspect it might be a dns-cache problem and I am following the responses to this question

sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches

Gives the error

Failed to flush caches: Could not activate remote peer: activation request failed: unknown unit.

as does

sudo resolvectl flush-caches 

another answer states:

You need to use systemd-resolved otherwise the flush-caches command has no effect.

However, I enter

systemd-resolved

The command is not found

On the Archwiki it states that

systemd-resolved is a part of the systemd package that is installed by default.

Where do I go from here?

Manjaro uses openresov by default, if I recall. Did you actually enable systemd-resoved?

try without sudo:

resolvectl flush-caches 

See here also:

It’s not. Glibc resolver doesn’t even cache queries. Maybe clean firefox cache.

Manjaro (or most editions) dont use the systemd-resolved resolver by default.
Most likely you are using openresolv.
(why? I dunno.)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-resolved

Thanks for your replies, but I’m afraid I’m none the wiser

The problem occurs on Firefox and Chrome (and Opera). It only occurs on sites from that particular domain (which is why I was led down the DNS rabbit hole - but I don’t know that that is the real problem)

I did a system update that day before I noticed this issue. Could that have a bearing?

Not very likely

Then it is a domain related issue - perhaps they have been changing hosting platform and you have been caught up in the changes?

In any case - using systemd-resolved is the better option.

One reason is the increased everyday use of VPN where using systemd-resolved solves a common issue where the resolv.conf is not reset correct when you disconnect your VPN.

It is also easy to switch - only takes a few commands

sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.bak
sudo systemctl enable systemd-resolved --now
sudo ln -s /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
sudo pacman -R openresolv

If I switch to systemd-resolved given your recipe, I cannot access the internet at all, so I reinstalled /etc/resolv.conf.bak

On the the other hand, if I use a VPN (in Opera) then I can access the domain. What does that suggest?

Well - you will need to restart your system or add --now to the service enable command

As you stated it is only a specific web site so I have no idea

I have rebooted and I can access the web now with systemd-resolved

It’s not a single web site, but any site with the domain netlify.app e.g.

https://visionary-flan-f5c377.netlify.app

I can access them with a VPN but not otherwise

If using systemd-resolved
Then also make sure to have systemd-resolvconf

sudo pacman -Syu systemd-resolvconf

And for openvpn vpns you should also get the update script

pamac build openvpn-update-systemd-resolved

Now reboot (and check).

I’ve flagged this as resolved because it appears to relate to only one domain and therefore is an internet issue and not the OS

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.