Secure boot: Emotional discussion

I personally don’t even use secure boot. The only reason I asked it was because given that users would need to disable secure boot and risk breaking windows 11, they will prefer distros that work with secure boot without much issues, hence reducing manjaro’s usershare. This is becoming apparent in subs like r/linuxquestions

As of today you don’t need dual boot - and as you point out - it is a source of trouble.

In earlier days - before USB sticks - dual-boot could be a solution - even then with MBR 4 primary partition layout - it created more issues than it solved.

Today you can write the image to a stick and use the system.

You can even use multiboot to have several different systems on the same stick.

If you create an encrypted data partition on the stick, you can carry with you anonymity and keep your sensitive data from prying eyes.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is true. A lot of people, if not the majority of people have dual boot systems to use linux as daily driver, and windows for any occasional software that doesn’t work in wine or gaming. Also, someone who tries linux in beginning goes for a dual boot setup instead of wiping windows all together.

I don’t know if you are speaking from experience, but the performance on usb sticks is abysmal, and daily driving it becomes difficult in couple of days after system begins to lag and even crash.

I get it that manjaro does not want to support secure boot due to ideological reasons, and I agree with them. But I won’t be comfortable recommending it to beginners from now on, which is very sad because it was otherwise an ideal distro to introduce linux to new people. Sometimes, to make a successful product, one has to swallow pride and tread with market trends

I do

It can be - if you install to USB and the USB is old

Only if you install to USB - if you use the ISO, it is only read - never written - and as such it works great.

You are entitled to that opinion.

From years of experience I can say - dual boot is to be avoided - if you are a gamer or depends on Windows only software- you should use WSL to get LInux on Windows - like you can get Windows on Linux by using a virtual machine.

Manjaro is not really a beginner distro - in terms of Linux - it could probably be labeled as an entry into the Arch world of one version to rule them all.

You don’t have to recommend anything and if you get sad - it is not really a concern.

But fair enough - then I am not comfortable when all those Windows users are projecting their consumer expections onto a system provided free of charge by volunteers and the help is provided by enthusiastic volunteers.

Wow wow, trying to be toxic here. I was wondering where those nice arch users went.
Anyways, I had misunderstood the goal of the distro. It seems you are trying to target a very niche audience. The attempts to bundle it preinstalled with hardware gave an impression that the goal of the distro may have been to be an entry as well as the stop into the linux world, which I had clearly misuderstood. Of course you don’t need to support secure boot or such if you want to be limited to the niche.

Also, I much appreciate the work of the team and their readiness to engage with the community. However, in just in particular to you, I would advice that you chill your tensed nerves a little. It can become a health concern in later life. Of course you are free to take it or not just as one is free to use this distro or not. Have a good day.

Maybe have poll someday if you wish to. You will be surprised.

No I am not - why are you saying that? You are the one stating

which can be read as a threat like: If you don’t start supporting secure boot - then I won’t recommend Manjaro a completely ignorant statement if you ask me so I am merely responding to it with

So if you think my comment is toxic - then what about your own? Reap as you sow - they say.

I couldn’t care less about secure boot - and if you look at the topics quoted by @bogdancovaciu you will see there is generally no support for secure boot - until that day something not depending on third party approval is devised.

of course i won’t. Unless I am sure they don’t need secure boot and will disable it. This is just as logical as not recommending debian to someone who wants recent software.

I know I can be brash and easily hurt people, so I take specific care not to be too hard on anyone. I did make a less tactful comment in response to yours, though I don’t think I said anything negative before. Apologies from me if you did find something that hurt you or made you sad from my comments

I’ve moved the entire emotional discussion part of the conversation here and unlisted it so that everyone with the link can still read / write, instead of reacting to individual flags.

:innocent: