Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire A114-31 v: V1.29 serial: <filter>  
 Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter>  
 Mobo: APL model: Bulbasaur_AP_S v: V1.29 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde  
 v: 1.29 date: 10/29/2018  
Battery: 
 ID-1: BAT1 charge: 34.9 Wh condition: 34.9/37.0 Wh (94%) volts: 8.7/7.7  
 model: PANASONIC AP16M5J type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Full  
Memory: 
 RAM: total: 3.68 GiB used: 1.77 GiB (48.0%)  
 RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.  
CPU: 
 Info: Quad Core model: Intel Celeron N3450 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Goldmont  
 family: 6 model-id: 5C (92) stepping: 9 microcode: 40 L2 cache: 1024 KiB  
 bogomips: 8756  
 Speed: 2016 MHz min/max: 800/2200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2016 2: 904  

I have a seagate external hhd non ssd and have mounted it and can see the drive in Dolphin I want to transfer photos from my canon eos 7d which I can view. But I keep geting I dont have the rigth permissions. I have tried to change this but have failed. What am I doing wrong? Please.

please check your system-settings first. open system-settings → changeable devices and mark that they are mounted automatically. do a reboot before testing

OK have checked the suggested settings and the External drives is set to mount automatically rebooted and problem still exists. Drive is empty and formatted with KDE partition manager as ext4.

okay that’s the issue, a external drive should be formatted as fat32 or better exfat. to bind a external ext4 needs some more difficults. try to partition it as exfat (extended fat) that should solve the problem.

I’m sorry but that’s blatantly false.

In UNIX, the permissions on a mounted filesystem which itself supports POSIX permissions and file ownership depend upon the permissions of the mountpoint, i.e. the directory that the filesystem is mounted on.

Change the permissions on the mountpoint, or ─ better yet ─ have the filesystem mounted to a directory that itself sits under your home directory. That way, the mountpoint will have the proper ownership and permissions.

See the following man pages for more information. :arrow_down:

man mount
man fstab
man chown
man chmod
man mkdir
3 Likes

I have looked at the man pages all 400+ and the individual pages listed but are non the wiser I just don’t understand the terminal with my limited experience. I did try to create a directory under the home directory but got the predicable response. Sorry but we that are new to Linux just keep blundering on.

I’LL head over to YouTube and see what I can find. But thank you.

You need to determine the mount point of the drive:

In terminal type : df
determine the mount point of your drive

To change ownership in terminal type:
sudo chown your user name:your user name /path to mount point

Substitute “your user name” for the real user name and the real mount point

Then reboot for good measure.

Which will immediately undo the change to the permissions, because the contents of /run live on a tmpfs and thus they only exist when the system is running.

I fixed the above. I hope that it is a bit closer to the solution. I have done this in the past and recollection is a bit cloudy.

Which is why I said… :arrow_down:

:slight_smile:

1 Like