Sd-umount: Failed to unmount /oldroot on Shutdown or Reboot

Hi,
I’ve decided to install Ubuntu.
It’s just that i have too many problems with Manjaro at the moment
and I needed a working computer for University.
Thx for the replies!
Have a good one!!

@leestudyante Take care!

For other folks reading this:

TL;DR It is said to be a systemd issue,

1 Like

these errors doesn’t occur in Ubuntu

OP, I’ve been having the same problems today as well. I run Manjaro on my SSD, and Windows 10 on my other drive.

Shutting down my system from Manjaro gives me the logs “Failed to unmount /oldroot”, “Failed to unmount /oldroot/sys”, and “Failed to finalize file systems, ignoring.” And then, when I reboot, it either stalls on a blank, black screen, or it send me straight into Manjaro without showing me BIOS prompts or loading GRUB for boot OS selection.

@leestudyante, just curious, is your SSD perchance the Samsung NVME EVO Plus 970?

1 Like

I also have this error with my external usb drive :frowning:

Same errors for me on a fresh Manjaro install on new NVMe drive. I do have one more NVMe containing Windows 10 and old Manjaro installation (yet). Both are available in GRUB. Two more SSD with NTFS filesystem and one USB HDD with ext4 (Timeshift backup) and NTFS partitions. All drives are automatically mounted by built in KDE utility.

Would like to solve those errors.

1 Like

I also have the issue (and want to see what solutions are proposed)

Same issue for me - Manjaro KDE and Win 10 on one NVMe drive, available via GRUB.
Sometimes the shutdown procedure can take 1-2 minutes.

Also have this problem with a new Lenovo V17-IIL Laptop (no nvidia hardware). Running the newest Manjaro Gnome Iso 21.0.2

Slice=-.slice was already added to the bottom of this file (as root) /usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-session-restart-dbus.service.
So this is no fix!

I also have this. And I’ve researched quite a bit on it.

Apparently, it’s purely cosmetic and nothing to worry about. (I can’t remember where I read that, so can’t provide you guys with the link.)

The Problem is that it’s really annoying having to wait ~ 2-3 minutes for the system to reboot or to shutdown. So although it doesnt break anything critical its still an annoying error.

That’s very true. Luckily, for me at least, I very rarely rest5art my computer, when I’m in front of it. Only for updates. So I didn’t notice it for that.

I only noticed it with shutdown. And I don’t hang around to wait for my PC to shutdown. I click shutdown and leave it be. So it doesn’t really other me.

But for what it’'s worth, it’s not a Manjaro-bug. It’s systemd I think. If you search Google you’ll find the problem isn’t localized to Manjaro, but appears in, at least, 2 other distributions as well.

Ok I was able to fix this by doing the following:

sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

change:
HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap filesystems fsck"
to:
HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap filesystems fsck shutdown"

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

sudo systemctl restart systemd-coredump.socket
sudo systemctl reset-failed

Now I can shutdown without the need to wait 2-3 mins.

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks, and well done!

most probably related to systemd, going to disappear with 248, at least in my machine…

Is there a way to update systemd manually without needing to wait for a repo update? I cant find anything online.

I would highly recommend not attempting to do this. if you need early access to specific parts it is better to switch to a more upstream version of system as a whole. Read about switching branches here.

It is possible to install specific newer versions, but since you cannot find how to online you probably won’t be able to successfully integrate a updated complex component like systemd successfully yourself.

1 Like

I also have the same issue after each major Manjaro update.

It tries to mount and unmount them in circles.