Screen Has Dead Area on Right

Normal KDE install, using X, on a t495 thinkpad
There is a 1/2 inch blank area on the right side
The cursor is visible, but will disappear off the screen another 1/2 inch
A gwenview or other non maximized window goes behind
A maximized window just doesn’t use this part of the screen

One of our psychics will look in their crystal ball in the next 48 hours to see which hardware your computer has. If you don’t want to wait, you can provide your system information according to the post linked below.

2 Likes

It is a little frustrating considering that everyone needs to be reminded of this on their first post, but I think that response is uncalled for right off the bat.

@VisiKDE try taking a screenshot of the whole screen, is the dead area captured in the image or is it dead there too? Does this dead spot show up if you boot into a live ISO from Manjaro or another distro?

AMD 8 × AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3500U w/ Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
21g ram
AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
Screen shot is set for full screen & doesn’t include the dead zone
I’ll boot something else up

Centos stream & Siduction both use the entire screen
The cursor goes nearly off screen on the right & bottom on all three

this is no proper answer. @ben75 provided the link how to provide useful information. if it’s too much for you to read and act in a way that others can help you then it is your fault. period.

There is no proper guide just links that take me around in circles
No worries, I understand the fun of the commandline experts abusing noobs
Cheers

I apologize, these two are being rather rude for no apparent reason. The command to find system information is

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --width

I believe what you missed is that these little arrowed lines in the guide can be clicked to expand into full sections:

Does the cursor ever fully go off the screen, or can you always see at least the tip of it (maybe just 1 pixel)? Check your resolution in your settings, how does it compare to your screen’s actual resolution? If you take a screenshot of the full screen, is the black area included?

I understand, that it’s annoying to remind people for the 1000th time to provide information as expected to do. But changing to the opposite position it is almost always someone to fail on this for the first time …

Wish you all a relaxed evening :person_in_lotus_position:

:slight_smile:

There is a difference between screen and display.

The display is the physical monitor and the screen is abstract - e.g. it can span several displays.

Assuming your system is completely up-to-date - if not please sync

sudo pacman -Syu

If it is an issue that appeared recently I suggest checking your xorg configurations files if they are not damaged and contains valid confiiguration for your system.

If you are using any custom packages (AUR) then ensure those are rebuild to match your current system state.