Screen flickering issue with NVIDIA graphics card

Hi @Fabby, I have same laptop (Asus fx505dt) with same configuration.
I also got the same issue. After trying bunch of different methods. I just removed non-free drivers video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-450xx-prime and started using free drivers video-linux .
Everything works fine now.

Also, method mentioned by @visone did not work for me, It gives error ‘cannot start SDDM’ at start.

Thank you for the feed-back, but @TheEpicProgrammer is the person that should confirm your answer works for him/her too…

:man_shrugging:

@Fabby that’s alright. I just wanted to confirm if solution works with everyone.
Also, The solution I gave above does not work in all conditions. I apologize for that.
I just found the solution here on forums that works and I have thoroughly tested it.

Please check point 4.0 Suspend Issues.

If someone is having same problem, please let me know.

2 Likes

Hey first of all apologies for late replies ,
No it is not workinng I am getting the same issues again & again .

@ashu

:point_up_2: :pray: :bowing_man:

also for an update : the issue gets resolved if I switch to nvidia 440.x.x.x. but the system automatically upgrades itself to 450+.x.x. and that causes the issue again and again

I’m on the 440 series (have a look at my profile why) and that’s rock stable and does not upgrade itself to the 450 series automatically.

What’s the output of:

mhwd --listinstalled

:thinking:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-440xx-prime            2020.10.04               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Hrmpf. That’s good!

How did you install those?

mhwd --install pci video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-440xx-prime 

:question: :thinking:

Note: I’m on

mhwd --listinstalled
> Installed PCI configs:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
    video-nvidia-440xx            2020.10.04               false            PCI

And that one doesn’t upgrade to 450… :upside_down_face:

I install those from harware configuration settings
also I am on manjaro gnome .
I think it upgrades whenever I upgrade my machine via pamac manager or install a new package …
in that case what can I do ?

• Stop using the GUI to install nVidia drivers (it does things “automatically”)

• Print this page so you have it as a reference while in TTY2

• Log off

• Switch to TTY2 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2

• remove everything (and why you’re in a TTY) with:

sudo mhwd --remove pci video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-440xx-prime 
    sudo mhwd --remove pci video-linux

• Install everything again:

sudo mhwd --install pci video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-440xx-prime 
    sudo mhwd --install pci video-linux
    sudo reboot

Now it shouldn’t auto-update any more

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hey , sad to say but After trying the method u suggested , broke the screen and starten flickering again… I then deleted uninstalled the driver then again installed … now its working

Huh? that’s exactly what I told you aboveWhat did you do differently?

:open_mouth:

I first went to TTY2 then removed the drivers and then installed em again . came back to home … got blamed with the flickering issue again … I then removed the driver via gui and then installed it again . It worked .

1 Like

:open_mouth:
Thanks for the feed-back! :+1:

That’s totally and utterly weird, because it should do the same thing, but on TTY2 you can remove all drivers and still be able to reboot (back into the TTY only though) and then fix any issues that cannot be fixed thorugh a GUI…

I’m stumped!

:thinking:

yes , that’s the same thing stranged me but yeah whatever does good with minimal solution is appreciated XD

1 Like

@Fabby Update : Seems the issue is resolved after upgrading to 455 as I they pushed the update as LTS

1 Like

I’ve marked the below answer as the solution to your question:

In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this:
Solution
so that the next person that has the same problem as you will now find a “solved” question.

1 Like

Hey thanks for letting me know this option . I will definitely do that :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.