Scanner problems

I’ve successfully configured my printer (Canon TS5300) and it fully works except for 1 thing and that is the scanner portion of the printer… i use simple scan as my scanner tool and every time it says it failed to connect to the scanner, i’ve tried some other scan tools but none of them work.

Hi,

I use a MX350, a bit older I gues. To get it to work I installed avahi on my host system and enabled that service to get the simple scanner to see it.
pamac install avahi
systemctl enable --now avahi-daemon.service

after this the simple scanner is able to pick up the scanner over the network and use it as a source.

Hope this solves it for you.

no luck with this, i was able to find the scanner before… after your command and even a reboot it still says unable to connect to scanner…

Ah, regrettably I do not know any further steps :slightly_frowning_face:

Not sure, but this is where I’d start.

I found PIXMA TS5300 at the sane project (scroll or find to get to it). It says the backend driver is pixma.

pacman -Fx /pixma.conf says the file pixma.conf is owned by sane in the extra repository.

Do a search for sane in pamac and make sure the package sane is installed, and probably xsane.

Do you get a response with scanimage -L or scanimage -A.

See more documentation at SANE - ArchWiki.

1 Like

I’ve only had experience on Debian based systems with scanners , but (probably obvious to you) you have to have root privileges to use a scanner and be part of the scanner user group. Please correct me if I’m wrong about this on Manjaro.

Sane was already installed, i’ve also installed XSane but there i get the error that it either can’t find the printer or it can’t connect…
I did get a response with scanimage -L or scanimage -A
This is the response: device `escl:https:// 19 2.168.0.222:443’ is a Canon TS5300 series platen scanner

i might’ve skipped that part, wich user group do i need to add myself to?

There is a group scanner on my system, the user account that scans is not a member nor has to use elevated rights to scan using xsane/document scanner besides the wheel group. The wiki states that group membership is not needed anymore, it’s worth a try.
After scrolling through the users/groups I notice I have user saned with the comment: SANE daemon user But as far as I can tell that is used for sharing scanners.

The Wiki page on scanning is a good read with lots of info on why, how and what to do in case of x. Ive found a way to fix a slight annoyance I had with the webcam showing up as a scanner just now. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

i’ve installed scangearmp2 and that program perfectly uses the scanner! Thanks!

1 Like

Ah, great!

I guess the general takeaway for any user setting up their scanner is to read the archlinux Sane documentation :slight_smile:

From archwiki:

Alternative: for some Canon Pixma all-in-one printer/scanners, which are not detected over network, can be used scangearmp2 package from AUR.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.