I am happy to announce the release of SbK Mate-Compiz 23.0.3.
watermark is not present in the installed OS.
Both iso’s in this release include:
- The 6.1.55 LTS kernel.
- Compiz 9 with the rotating cube for virtual desktops, faded windows in the background, wobbly windows, and other effects.
- The New KoraSpin-Orange5 icon theme with light and dark versions of the control icons. It is part of the KoraSpin-23.0.3 package.
- The new SpinThemeDarkOrange6 matching Gtk and Kvantum themes in one package.
- The new Usplash-23.0.3 desktop wallpapers. One of them is the background for the grub, desktop, and login screen backgrounds.
- A basic Conky with matching color theme.
- The iso’s are up to date as of 10/9/2023
- An optional Firefox theme, SbK Dark Orange6 that matches the color scheme is available at Firefox Themes just click on the image in Firefox to install it.
Both iso’s also contain the standard SbK features.
- The latest LTS kernel.
- A Manjaro stable install that is also AUR compatible. In the full iso there are also a lot of packages used to build packages installed.
- It is multiarch by default to make running wine games and other 32bit software you may run easier.
- The Spins by Kilz signed repository is enabled for SbK project packages.
- A signed iso. For information on checking signed iso’s visit Check ISO
- Bloatware has been removed (HP printer software and others).
- Flat packs and snaps are not installed. The back ends are also not installed but can be installed by the user.
- All SbK iso’s contain Manjaro Architect script in case you want to do a custom install. To get any SbK packages like themes, icons, and other goodies you will have to add the SbK Repository after install.
- Timeshift autosnap installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.
- A basic Conky with a color scheme to match the other themes.
A full and very minimal iso can be found here.
As always comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.
Tried again, failed again. GPU is a RTX 4060. Checksums match. X does not start.
Can we do something?
Looks like a proprietary driver issue. I have little experience with Nvidia drivers. Does the desktop boot with the free drivers? Does it start when starting from install media?
From what I have read, this looks promising:
[ 162.590] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[ 162.590] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[ 162.590] (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.
Did you create a xorg.conf ? This link may help.
If you created an xorg.conf in the past you may need to remove it, try starting without it, and if that doesnt work create a new one.
Thanks for your reply. I simply try to boot this live system. I am running Ubuntu 20.04 with 5.15.0 Kernel and 535 Nvidia drive w/o any problems.
Does the desktop boot with the free drivers?
I have no idea how to do this.
Does it start when starting from install media?
This is what i do, or do you mean vanilla manjaro?
Did you create a xorg.conf ? [This link may help.
I will take a look. Maybe i can take my current xorg .conf from ubuntu.
you created an xorg.conf in the past you may need to remove it, try starting without it, and if that doesnt work create a new one.
The last time i have handcrafted xorg confs was 20 years ago and it was hell ;).
manjaro-kde-23.0.4-minimal-231015-linux65 boots with proprietary drivers.
[ 77.588] (--) Log file renamed from "/var/log/Xorg.pid-31701.log" to "/var/l - Pastebin.com
Did you create an installer, either a usb or disk and install the spin? If so during the install did the desktop show?
Please read the link to the Arch wiki I provided above, there are ways to auto create the xorg.conf file. Do not use one from another distro.
For me, this is not possible. After spending some hours, i gave up.
As far as i can see, there is no nvidia driver on the system present. Nouvau does not work.
What i tried:
install nvida-dkms driver
→ dkms Failed
→ dkms Failed
install linux61-nvida driver
could not load/find nvidia modules on the live system, without reboot also failed
startx never worked. My workflow would be: boot the iso, check if the system runs, install the system.