I am pleased to announce the release of SbK Mate-Compiz 21.1.
The SbK Mate-Compiz 21.1 release features the first signed iso for the project. This gives those that download it the option to make sure the iso was created by the SbK project and has not been changed. All future releases will be signed.
The hash used for checking downloads is also changing to sha1 and sha256 as the hash files are produced as part of signing the iso.
To be perfectly honest, I like to be proactive with security. This project has been making spins since Manjaro was at 18. Protecting the projects good name and its users is well worth any extra work that is needed.
A big thanks to linux-aarhus for the help creating the signed iso’s.
I have created a web page with info on how to check the iso.
Both versions of this release include
- The latest LTS kernel, 5.10.59.
- A new KvSpinDarkGold2 dual Kvantum and GTK theme.
- Themeing for Grub, login screen and desktop all have the same background and colors.
- 3 new backgrounds, one of which is the Desktop, grub, and login screen background.
- A basic Conky setup to display system information on the desktop.
- There have been a ton of package updates since the 21.0.5 release. The release is up to date as of 8/20/21.
- The new FlatRemixSpin-Dark-Gold icon set.
- Compiz 9 with the rotating cube for virtual desktops, faded windows in the background, wobbly windows, and other effects.
They also contain the standard SbK features.
- A Manjaro stable install that is also AUR compatible.
- Multiarch by default to make running wine games and other 32bit software you may run easier.
- The Spins by Kilz signed repository is enabled for SbK project packages.
- Timeshift autosnap installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.
- Bloatware has been removed (HP printer software and others).
- Flat packs and snaps are not installed. The back ends are also not installed but can be installed by the user.
- The latest long term support kernel
- All SbK iso’s contain Manjaro Architect script in case you want to do a custom install. Sadly to get any SbK packages like themes, icons, and other goodies you will have to add the SbK Repository after install. Any Manjaro user can add it.
A full and minimal iso can be found here.
As always comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.
As a side note SbK Cinnamon 21.1 is next.