Samba: no r/w access to shared files

Hello everyone.
Please share your thoughts and experience, I’m wondering if you can confirm the following:

I noticed recently that I cannot edit, remove or add files on my share created by Dolphin. This has nothing to do with Dolphin but with the default settings provided by manjaro-settings-samba. Its smb.conf needs a change from:

passdb backend = tdbsam

to:

passdb backend = smbpasswd

Then smb user should be created with sudo smbpasswd -a $LOGNAME.
However, that’s not enough. Every share needs to be discarded and created again – but that’s an easy thing to do.
This was discussed in detail here: https://serverfault.com/questions/900440/samba-configuration-statusnt-status-access-denied

If I recall this correct - smbpasswd has been deprecated for years and only exist for some backwards compatibility - tdbsam has been used for years to store the users.

The early version looked like this in the [global] section

security = user
      smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

[global]
  security = user
  passdb backend = tdbsam

The user must be created on the samba host system using a common usergroup (either the default users or a group for the purpose) → then added to the sam database with smbpasswd (a samba share user do not need a shell and no home folder)

useradd smbuser1 -s /usr/bin/nologin -M -g smbgroup

Set a local pass

passwd smbuser1

Set smb pass

smbpasswd -a smbuser1

The folder tree (path) you share need to be owned by root:smbgroup and permissions set to 775 which will give the group the necessary permissions on the share.

To grant rw access set your smb.conf to force the smbgroup and have a create mask of 0660 and directory mask of 0770 (some say 0771 imo it makes no sense to be able to cd into a folder you cannot read) and read-write permission

Something like

[yourshare]
  comment = share for smbgroup
  path = /some/path
  valid users = @smbgroup
  force group = smbgroup
  create mask = 0660
  directory mask = 2770
  writable = yes    # I know - this contradicts above - but hey it is samba

EDIT

1 Like