Running kernel showed in manjaro settings is different from what `uname -r` shows

The kernel showed in manjaro settings is something like Linux-5.4.64-1 |running| |Installed|, but the uname -r shows 5.4.44-1-MANJARO.
When installing virtualbox-host-dkms, I find dkms install 6.1.14_OSE twice for the above two kernels, and the 5.4.44-1 one fails, so I can’t install that. I try to check the running kernel and get this weird difference.

Did you reboot since your last update?

Yes, I have rebooted it for several times.

Hm, What kernels do Manjaro Settings Manager claim is installed?

$ ls /boot

Did you see any old 5.4 lying around?

It claims 5.4.64-1 as well.
(I am posting a topic here for the first time, it seems I can’t embed any pictures or links, so not able to display the picture)

The ouput is

amd-ucode.img  grub/                              initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img  linux54-x86_64.kver  vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64
efi/           initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img  intel-ucode.img           memtest86+/          vmlinuz-linux54

Look like nothing old or new.

Please check if your system is connecting to an up-to-date mirror. This can be done by running pacman-mirrors without arguments or with the --status argument.

pacman-mirrors

looks more like is system is out-of-date as uname tell him is older than msm… and msm use the package available in pacman database…
but the kms module find two kernel 5.4 that’s weird… the reason @leledumbo asked about a kernel laying arround… and kms don’t care about packages or mirror it detects which kernels are installed on the system.

pacman-mirrors outputs:

Pacman-mirrors version 4.16.4
Local mirror status for stable branch
Mirror #1   OK  24:37   China  https://mirrors.aliyun.com/manjaro/
Mirror #2   OK  02:15   China  https://mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn/manjaro/

I am not sure about my description of dkms, so I show the sudo pacman -S virtualbox-host-dkms output here:

warning: virtualbox-host-dkms-6.1.14-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) virtualbox-host-dkms-6.1.14-1

Total Installed Size:  10.00 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                        [##################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                      [##################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                           [##################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                     [##################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                   [##################################################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Remove upgraded DKMS modules
==> dkms remove --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.14_OSE -k 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
==> Unable to remove module vboxhost/6.1.14_OSE for kernel 5.4.44-1-MANJARO: Not found in dkms status output.
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling virtualbox-host-dkms                                               [##################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.14_OSE -k 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
==> depmod 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
==> Unable to install module vboxhost/6.1.14_OSE for kernel 5.4.44-1-MANJARO: Missing kernel headers.

There you go …

The reason dkms does not pull the headers automatically is - probably - because this particular package is inherited from Arch repo and as such not coded to look for the Manjaro versions of the header packages.

If you have previously been able to install the dkms - then you are in now in a situation where - @scachemaille spotted - your system - for one reason or another is only partitally updated.

You should be able to fix this by runnning (you need to install headers for all kernels)

sudo pacman -Syu linux54-headers

dkms will run correct when the correct headers are in place.

sudo pacman -Syu linux54-headers
Dave@manjaro ~ [1]> sudo pacman -Syu linux54-headers
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 archlinuxcn is up to date
warning: linux54-headers-5.4.64-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: filesystem: local (2020.05.20-1) is newer than core (2020.05-1)
warning: grub: local (2:2.04-7) is newer than core (2.04-11.1)
warning: lsb-release: local (1.4-18) is newer than core (1.4-13)
warning: mkinitcpio: local (28-1) is newer than core (27-3)
warning: os-prober: local (1.77-2) is newer than community (1.77-1)
warning: qt4: local (4.8.7-33) is newer than community (4.8.7-29.1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux54-headers-5.4.64-1

Total Installed Size:  46.87 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                   [###################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                 [###################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                      [###################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                [###################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                              [###################################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Remove upgraded DKMS modules
==> dkms remove --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.14_OSE -k 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
==> dkms remove --no-depmod -m rtl8723de-5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111 -v 1414 -k 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
(2/2) Save Linux kernel modules
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling linux54-headers                               [###################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/4) Updating module dependencies...
(3/4) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.14_OSE -k 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m rtl8723de-5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111 -v 1414 -k 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
==> depmod 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
(4/4) Restore Linux kernel modules

==> Warning:
         -> Kernel has been updated. Modules of the current kernel
         -> have been backed up so you can continue to use your
         -> computer. However, the new kernel will only work 
         -> at next boot.

It looks as if the 5.4.44 kernel is ignored…after running sudo pacman -Syu linux54-headers, I reboot. Nevertheless, the running kernel of uname -r and Manjaro settings are still different and the dkms error remains the same.

I am able to embed a picture now, so I show the 5.4.64-1 in my Manjaro settings here.

:man_facepalming:

http://xyproblem.info

You are asking for help to solve an issue where you do not provide all information.

This is most likely because you have switched branches - first to testing or unstable - then back to stable.

After you switched back you want to install headers for a kernel but your system is out of sync because it contains packages from different point of release.

This is a classic example of a partially synced system.

Switching branches is not a playground for getting newer releases synced to your system - it is because you want cutting edge.

Either you switch branch or you downgrade your system - and downgrade is built into pacman.

sudo pacman -Syuu

It helps. I have read the link and it benefits a lot. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.