Running extra-x86_64-build fails with 404 from mirrors

Summary: extra-x86_64-build fails, but pamac & pacman seem happy.

Hi. 5-years old standard Manjaro (ext4 mounts, GNOME). My goal is to build the current Firefox, but in 32-bit (based on the existing AUR package “bin32-firefox”, which is old; I do NOT have installed locally). So (all as an ordinary user):

[sudo] password for pkehl:       
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core downloading...
 extra downloading...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.gigenet.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.math.princeton.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to synchronize all databases (failed to retrieve some files)

Out of curiosity, I’ve cloned the official (x64) Firefox package, but the same problem:

extra-x86_64-build 
[sudo] password for pkehl:       
 core downloading...
 extra downloading...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.gigenet.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.math.princeton.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404

Then I followed Cannot update, error 404 for every mirror (as much as I understood):

• sudo pamac update --force-refresh
  • sudo pacman-mirrors -c Global && sudo pacman -Syyu
  • sudo pamac update -a --no-confirm
  • sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
    rm: cannot remove ‘/var/lib/pacman/db.lck’: No such file or directory
  • sudo rm /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/db.lck
    rm: cannot remove ‘/var/tmp/pamac/dbs/db.lck’: No such file or directory

Now, extra-x86_64-build in either bin32-firefox or firefox fail with different mirrors:

extra-x86_64-build 
 core downloading...
 extra downloading...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.cicku.me : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors2.manjaro.org : The requested URL returned error: 404

I’m in Canada (Yes, I’m sorry), and I had Pamac set to Global mirrors. The above is the same even if I choose Canadian mirrors.

sudo pacman -Syuw
 core is up to date
 extra                   8.6 MiB  14.0 MiB/s 00:01 [###########] 100%
 community              29.0   B   966   B/s 00:00 [###########] 100%
 multilib is up to date
 pritunl is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: gnome-wallpapers: local (20201023-1) is newer than extra (20201020-2)
 there is nothing to do

sudo pacman -Syu
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 pritunl is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: gnome-wallpapers: local (20201023-1) is newer than extra (20201020-2)
 there is nothing to do

Please shine some light. (I know Pamac info above is most likely irrelevant, but I included it just in case.)

Why do you think you need this package?

The requisites for the AUR are git and base-devel.

This looks normal now
(aside from the ‘newer’ package and the extra ‘pritunl’ repo)

??
What are these procedures?

Normally a manual AUR build, using one of your examples, would use makepkg;

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/bin32-firefox.git
cd bin32-firefox
makepkg -sric

Of course, I’m new to AUR/Arch builds. extra-x86_64-build comes from Using Devtools on Arch Linux | Vultr Docs. (I’m not using, nor promoting that company. I’ve followed the steps only because it seemed a most “packaged” documentation. I did look at several Arch Wiki pages and were lost.)

Basically, based on that webpage, I wanted a manual AUR build, however, not to “pollute” the whole system, but under chroot.

Confirming that makepkg -sric works.
Thank you.

Arch is not Manjaro; Manjaro is not Arch.

Our Manjaro tools conflict with devtools, that’s why you can’t find it in the repos.

The proper documentation for building in a clean chroot on Arch is in the Arch Wiki. Anything else is unsupported and may be outdated. Never blindly follow random instructions from third party websites.

We have our own manjaro-chrootbuild script instead.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.