Running an E-GPU on linux

Good morning,

An E-GPU means external graphic processor unit. Its vocation is to connect in general to a laptop without a dedicated GPU to increase its computing power tenfold, whether in 3D modeling or in-game. With the democratization of the Thunderbolt protocol, became possible to connect this kind of device to any computer diposant of this connection. Seeing the prohibitive prices of E-GPU all done (exceeding 600 EUR) while the graphics card is not even included I set out to make a DIY. With the help of a dedicated electronic board (TH3P4G3) SFX power supply, fans, soldering, 3D printing and a GTX 1660 bought second hand, I was able to reproduce this device fully functional at least on Windows. My computer supposed to host the device is a Framework Laptop 13 with 4 thundebolt ports. By connecting the device the board is well detected. I was able with the Manjaro control panel to install nvidia drivers with the automatic installation function of propritetary drivers. The concern is that when I play a game, the performances suggest that the APU is used. Not the GTX 1660. Under windows I could manage this kind of parameter in the nvidia control panel. It also allowed me to eject the graphics processor cleanly. I have no idea how to generate this kind of parameter on windows.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The same control panel exist with Manjaro

I was not a current. Is there a particular program to install or it is in the system settings ?

may you post the output of

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width

make sure the egpu is connected

It is installed when you install the driver…

nvidia-settings

If not then install using

sudo pacman -S nvidia-settings

You need to format your post, so that it will be readable !

What you provide so far is a wall of text :wink:

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=8 --filter --no-host --width --repos
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

The best place to start is the Arch Wiki: External GPU - ArchWiki

Without knowing exactly what software stack you’re using I can’t point you at the exact place to look, but it’s all fairly clear and well documented.