Rufus or Ventoy for making Bootable device for Manjaro?

Hi all,

For making a USB Bootable Stick of Manjaro XFCE OS on Windows 8.1 platform, which is better - Rufus software or Ventoy? Or, is there any other Bootable device software, such as Etcher, that serves the purpose?

Also, once a bootable device is created, I can still use the USB stick to store any user-generated media files (documents, images, videos, etc.), right?

And, using Rufus, for Manajaro XFCE OS, should I choose the option - ISO Image (Recommended by Rufus), or the option of ISOHybrid DD Image (recommended by Manjaro XFCE Instruction Manual)?

the one and only ventoy, the king of bootable devices… yes you can store data or use the usb as a multiboot, but its only possible with ventoy …
also secure boot and fastboot needs to be disabled
and boot ventoy either in bios or uefi mode depending on what you have

3 Likes

Are you planning to use this USB drive to solely Live Boot Manjaro, or will you be installing Manjaro on hardware using the USB drive?

Never used this ventoy before, but I can definitely vouch for rufus, worked for me.

edit:

Good point, is it a usb installer or a portable install on a usb?

I’ve had good success with Etcher It’s cross platform and work simply and great.
found here.

1 Like

You asked a strange question which will prompt people to give their opinion and tell you what they had used and are happy with.
Now what? You really are none the wiser.
You still have to choose and try each one.

Then there is this:

some will know whether there is something specific to that, some won’t
My assumption, as someone who has rarely ever used Windows:
there is no difference between the Windows versions
regarding this.

What I do know and why I’d suggest you try and use it:
Ventoy is easy to install - it simply makes your USB stick a bootable device.

You can then continue to use it as storage as you have done before.
The only difference is:
store an .iso file on it
(by simply copying it to the device like all the rest of the files you put on it)
and you can boot that .iso image

Depending on the capacity of the device, you can store many .iso files
as well as whatever else you might want to store.

It’s much more flexible than the other options - and easy as well.

there, another opinion :wink:

@megalomaniakaal

Yeah, I will be installing Manjaro on a hardware using the USB drive.

Slightly off topic, but i loved ventoy to try different distros outside a VM without compromising my system.
I used the Linux vDisk plugin to boot into a distro installed in a vdi file that was on my NTFS partition.
Crazy â– â– â– â– â–  :wink:

Rufus then, I guess.

I agree, I used it the last two times I installed Manjaro. Balena Etcher.

Hi,
It’s not “which is better” you can both use them. I prefer ventoy on a small nvme for booting.
On one nvme different distro’s for booting works for me.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.