RTX4070Ti SUPER with current driver

The latest Nvidia driver version is 545 which I’ve currently installed and the next driver version is 550 which is still in beta and not currently be available in the repos.
I’m wondering what would happen if I replace my RTX2070 with the RTX4070Ti SUPER which is actually not supported with my installed driver. Does it work anyway but not at full performance, does the kernel panic or will I just get a black screen?

According to Nvidia the GPU is supported by current drivers

GeForce RTX 40 Series (Notebooks):

GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU, GeForce RTX 4080 Laptop GPU, GeForce RTX 4070 Laptop GPU, GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, GeForce RTX 4050 Laptop GPU

GeForce RTX 40 Series:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 D, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060

Unfortunately, the RTX4070Ti SUPER is not in that list which I already checked.

550 appears to have been released on Jan. 24. 2024.

You will have to wait until @philm gets back from Fossdem for the driver to become available in unstable.

Driver Version: 550.40

Release Date: Wed Jan 24, 2024
Operating System: Linux 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 306.52 MB

550.40.07 is a beta driver. We will not be updating until a stable version is released.

2 Likes

I believe it when you say it - but are you sure?

Wnen searching nvidia driver download - it is listed as production branch.

Doesn’t look that way:

I just linked to the release announcement above specifying it’s a beta. :wink:

I did see yes. But when I saw @linux-aarhus’ reply, I went to check, and that is the latest production version. (I specifically made :100: sure I selected production.)

So somewhere, something’s messed up…but either way, it’s not there at the moment, and OP’ll have to wait a bit…

It only will if one searches for 4070 Ti SUPER drivers as 550 is the only series that supports it. :wink:

2 Likes

AAH, that makes much more sense.

THANK YOU!

It’s not officially supported which was already explained in the previous thread. Unless you have the technical knowledge to build, install, and maintain the 550 beta driver yourself then that’s all you need to know. Just wait, or buy some hardware that is actually supported.

Or if you don’t want to wait as recommended, there;s always the AUR, which seems to have it:

$ pamac search --aur nvidia
[...]
nvidia-beta-dkms  550.40.07-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                             AUR
NVIDIA driver sources for linux (beta version)
[...]

So that’s an option:

pamac build nvidia-beta-dkms

Note:

This is the AUR, so not really recommended, nor supported. Just like @MrLavender mentioned about building, installing and maintaining it manually. So, while use of the AUR is possible, it’s neither recommended nor supported.

Lastly, all disclaimers and suggestion regarding AUR usage applies:

Using the AUR was mentioned in a couple of other threads dealing with these new cards.

Anyway, telling people to wait is a recommendation, but it isn’t a very good recommendation, it’s like telling them “don’t use your computer” or “find a different distro”, so really if these people with these cards want to use Manjaro, and since Manjaro wont have the 550 beta (as mentioned in another comment) and that’s understandable as I think we all realize Manjaro has limited resources/team, the only real solution is to use the AUR (for now).

For me it’s still not clear what would happen if I install the new RTX4070Ti SUPER anyway using the current driver 545.

What do you think? It will just magically work? If you search the forum there was a similar post just a week or so ago.

Hi, I have a 4070 super which I have not installed on my machine yet

Can I ask, if I put it in now how would I make sure that these drivers are used for it? Would mhwd handle it? Or is there some other setup I would need to do? I haven’t been able to find much information about this. Thanks for any advice

1 Like

Preface: YMMV, this was more accident than planning and it could just as easily crashed and burned.

I have a 4080 Super i just installed, same issue with it not being supported in 545.
It works enough to hit the desktop without any issues.

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"

Gets me :

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 2702 (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Palit Microsystems Inc. Device f304
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

So obviously it’s not picking up for what it is, in addition, it’s clearly not utilising it to it’s fullest as gaming has been a no-go.

It has however, been stable enough to use for day to day stuff (or until the driver gets released).

1 Like

If it’s not supported…well…it might work, although I doubt it, or it might not. There’s no way to know really, without testing it and see finding out.

Or wait. The choice is yours.

:man_shrugging: