Rtx 3060 and USB live boot issue

Hi I recently got a rtx 3060 ti, and I’ve been trying to install manjaro to my computer since then, however, when i try to launch the live usb i get stuck on [OK] reached target graphical interface. I was wondering if you guys have any feedback or ideas to boot into the live installer so I can actually install the distro? TIA

Hello,

Make sure you boot with proprietary driver. Can you switch to TTY and back, does that make a difference?
Check your BIOS that the dGPU is primary.

@bogdancovaciu
To clarify i have attemped both the free and nonfree driver methods. Right now I’m attempting to install through architect, hoping that downloading the latest nvidia drivers before booting into an installed OS will fix the issue. I’m assuming the problem is that the live usb boot drive doesnt come with a version of the nvidia drivers that support my graphics card.

Hi @caan :wink:

i checked the readme of different versions. It seems that only the beta driver include the 3060ti:

The newest 455.45.1 supports these RTX 3xxx cards:

GeForce RTX 3090 	2204 	K
GeForce RTX 3080 	2206 	K
GeForce RTX 3070 	2484 	K

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/455.45.01/README/supportedchips.html

But the beta version: 460.27.04 supports these ones:

GeForce RTX 3090 	2204 	K
GeForce RTX 3080 	2206 	K
GeForce RTX 3070 	2484 	K
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 	2486 	K

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/460.27.04/README/supportedchips.html

So i guess you will need to create your own ISO, since version 460 is only available through the AUR:

$ pamac search nvidia-beta
opencl-nvidia-beta                                                     460.27.04-1  AUR
    OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA (beta version)
lib32-opencl-nvidia-beta                                               460.27.04-1  AUR
    OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA (32-bit, beta version)
nvidia-beta-dkms                                                       460.27.04-1  AUR
    NVIDIA driver sources for linux (beta version)
nvidia-beta                                                            460.27.04-1  AUR
    NVIDIA drivers for Arch's official 'linux' package (beta version)

@megavolt
So there is no way for me to manage to install it, even through the Architect installer? I can launch into that just fine, and download packages from several repos, so i imagine this should be doable as well?

also according to nvidias own website. Version: 455.45.01
In the release highlight:

Added support for the following GPUs:
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Kernel 5.9 support

@caan In theory, you can do it like this:

1. Do a installation with architect, but don’t install the nvidia drivers.
  2. Don’t reboot. After Installation chroot: manjaro-chroot -a
  3. Then install it with pamac install linux<versionnumber>-headers and pamac build nvidia-beta-dkms
  4. In this case don’t use mhwd to install the nvidia drivers… just don’t do this, it could break it.

No idea, maybe this information is wrong? I think the README i linked here is the official one.

@megavolt Thank you very much, you have been most helpful, I’ve decided to wait a couple of months to see if I can get Manjaro to work, and will stick with Pop_Os until then as I’ve currently got it working.