Rsync remote-option Bug

I use rsync to back up my computer to a Windows file share. I like to log the process. And, over time, I’ve found that I need to use the --remote-option to populate the log. That leads to a command similar to:

rsync -av --remote-option=--log-file="/home/michael/Desktop/rsync log.txt" './Rsync Source/' './Rsync Destination/'

I’ve found that with rsync version 3.2.7-2 and the remote-option, I can no longer back up my files.

The trivial command above creates a strange backup folder–КĢ\#304U–in the wrong location.

> rsync -av --remote-option=--log-file="/home/michael/Desktop/rsync log.txt" './Rsync Source/' './Rsync Destination/'
sending incremental file list
created directory КĢ\#304U
./
hello.txt

sent 36,692 bytes  received 67 bytes  73,518.00 bytes/sec
total size is 36,555  speedup is 0.99

And my backup script fails with the following errors. My script had been working for months.

> backup
ERROR: destination must be a directory when copying more than 1 file
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(758) [Receiver=3.2.7]
rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(848) [sender=3.2.7]
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(758) [Receiver=3.2.7]
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(848) [sender=3.2.7]

Removing the remote option prevents the error from occurring.

> rsync -av './Rsync Source/' './Rsync Destination/'                            sending incremental file list        
./
hello.txt

sent 36,692 bytes  received 38 bytes  73,460.00 bytes/sec
total size is 36,555  speedup is 1.00

It looks like Manjaro is getting its rsync package from Arch.

> pacman -Si rsync 
Repository      : extra
Packager        : Felix Yan <felixonmars@archlinux.org>

So, I’m looking for advice on how to address the issue.

Just for testing, could you remove the space in your log file name?

Same problem. The files failed to copy to the destination. And a directory is created in the current working directory. The name of the new directory changes with each invocation.

> rsync -av --remote-option=--log-file=/home/michael/Desktop/rsynclog.txt './Rsync Source/' './Rsync Destination/' 
sending incremental file list
created directory Њ\#023\#030?V
./
hello.txt

sent 95,754 bytes  received 67 bytes  191,642.00 bytes/sec
total size is 95,609  speedup is 1.00