Rsync and missing symbolic link

Having backed up “/” by “rsync -avHq” to an empty path on another disk. /usr/sbin must be a symbolic link to /usr/bin. But on the backup path it became a directory. Why?

Is the “other disk” with a filesystem that supports symbolic links, like ext4?
NTFS and FAT systems do not support symbolic links, so those would just convert the link to a folder.

Source and target are ext4. Other symlinks are created (I hope all). /usr/sbin seems to be an exception. It was created as empty directory instead of a symlink.

Either add -l (Little letter L), or you could try using my flags:

-qaHAXS

It turned out, that it wasn’ rsync, fortunately, but was a problem in the source path.

I have the suspicion: An installation script for an external device (printer, card reader …), that was made for another linux distribution, destroyed some symbolic links in the /usr path and changed them to empty (or almost empty) directories. I will analyze it.

It wasn’t a rsync failure. In the source path two symlinks had been destroyed and replaced by directories during an unnormal installation.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.