Root password not working?

correction the root pass was working the user one not, i loged out and loged in as root and the pass worked, strange because in the calamares installation i check the mark for making the same pass of the user for root…

So team Manjaro/Arch haven’t fixed this yet, I take it? And why aren’t they using their youtube channel to report to/warn users when they make changes like this?

fresh install & the gui software manager will display nothing, refreshing database asks for password and it will NOT take

and no touchpad functionality

so far not liking Manjaro

back to Mint I guess…

:pouting_cat:

1 Like

Hello I’ve managed to come across the same issue as all of you. For some reason logging out and then logging back in solved it for me for some reason?
I reckon this won’t work for people but i just wanted to document my findings.

Root password just stopped working for me as well and it have happen on several occation. This time i was not able to recover it for some reason.
I ran in to the problem today when trying to install python-pip.

Basic recovery atemt below:
`[root@B-Windows andre]# passwd root
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: password updated successfully

[andre] $ sudo pacman -S python-pip
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts
[andre] $ passwd
[andre] $ su
[root] $ passwd
[root] $ su root
[root] $ exit
[andre] $ passwd
$ sudo pacman -S python-pip
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts

sudo usually requires the password of your user account - the first created user account is also the administrator.
… usually, unless you did something special
You can, however, set a different password for root.
If the system let you change the root password successfully …
I’d try to:
open another terminal
and try from there
(possibly - not sure - the password change takes effect only after re-login/ … a different terminal)
keep the first one open until you can verify in the second one that the change did work …

Having the same issue on a new Pinebook Pro here. I set my user and root password the same on setup. I can log in. Heck, I can do many sudo commands, and enter su. But once a session, it will just stop accepting my sudo password. A reboot seems to fix it.

Oh my God, between the Su - and this I got it fixed! Thanks so much!

I’m having the same problem. Usually doing something like su will do the trick but this time, nothing. I have the same root password as user. This usually happens when updating from command line but this time it has happened from fresh boot. Any idea where to begin troubleshooting?

I should mention after reboot everything works as expected.