RK3399 HDMI output for resolutions different than 1080p

I need to rebuild 5.18 with Sascha’s patches for sure now.

While it compiles fine with the LE patch-set, it’s stuck at 1080p again :unamused:

Alright, looks like with 5.19-rc4 there are just a few patches left from v11 series and 4k HDMI output should be working on mainline :smiley: There is no need to try to apply the patches manually.

From this message, it looks like 5.19 will have most of the series contents with the dt changes being left for 5.20 : Re: [PATCH v11 00/24] drm/rockchip: RK356x VOP2 support - Heiko Stuebner

Unless I’m misreading things, then very soon 4k HDMI will work rockchip devices from mailine.

I can see that currently with 5.19-rc4 the autogenerated PHY table commit isn’t present along with a couple of others like the default 594Mhz for 4k

Overall - wait for 5.19 stable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, correction about the 4k HDMI output - those patches to get the rest of the resolutions haven’t been merged.

The messages as to why weren’t immediately visible :neutral_face:
Reference: [v11,11/24] drm/rockchip: dw_hdmi: Use auto-generated tables - Patchwork

Looks like it would still need custom kernel for now but with just a few patches tucked in instead of entire series.

@Strit , thanks for the info there! I didn’t realise dw_hdmi weren’t scheduled to be merged originally.

2 Likes

Hi pak0st

I have made a PR to your repo to increase the max PCIe link speed to 2.0 / 2x for RK3399 devices.

Would there be any chance of you posting updated (5.16 - apparently the 4K patches don’t work with 5.18?) packages that include my patch?

I have successfully built my patched repo, installed the package and I’m getting PCIe 2.0 transfer rates on my Rockpi 4c. I have successfully built this kernel package on my rockpi4c with this patch already in place in the running kernel so I’m pretty confident to say it works well enough for my purposes.

I’m going to give pak0st a few days to respond before I upload any packages as I’d rather see the patch upstreamed to his repo first.

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve just re-read this thread and realised that I never reported an issue I have with pak0st’s 5.16.7 kernel.

When I turn off my HDMI display whilst connected to my Rockpi 4c running X (MATE in my case, but desktop doesn’t matter), the picture (the X server’s output) doesn’t return when I turn the HDMI display back on. I have to reboot my rockpi at this point to get X working again, although I can still SSH into it fine after removing the HDMI cable. Physically removing and re-inserting the HDMI cable doesn’t fix the display.

Does anyone else experience this?

Hey, @danboid , I’m dealing with a few irl stuff at the moment.

Will try to check the PR and merge it this weekend - send me a dm on Saturday.

Don’t bother with 5.18 - the goal will be 5.19 and up. Just a few patches weren’t merged in 5.19 (the ones I’ve highlighted above) making the process a lot easier.
Will try to track those table patches but for awhile, I won’t be able to focus on that so I will be far slower.

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

Have you tried turning your display off and back on again when your rockpro64 is booted into X, running your 4K kernel? I’m wondering if this is just a rockpi issue that the display doesn’t come back up?

No idea there :smile:
I use hdmi switcher (same monitor is used for the work laptop) so it kind-of on/off but not quite. And I am pretty much exclusively using Wayland.

X11 session should be installed so I could give it a shot on the weekend.
That instability could very well be part of the reason as to why the dw_hdmi changes weren’t merged as well.

1 Like

I will try it with GNOME wayland later to see if thats any better.

MATE is still my desktop of choice and that’s not quite ready for Wayland yet. With GNOME (the only decent Wayland desktop) I have to use at least dock2panel to make it kinda usable but the whole GNOME plugin ‘standard’ is a mess. They break every new release and if one of you plugins misbehaves GNOME won’t start.

Little bit related…
Is Rock Pi 4 Model A+ 4gb 32GB supported by manjaro? I am a newbie so i cant do tricky things, its must be flash and use. Thanks in advance.

I don’t think its officially supported but you could still try the generic or rockpi4b/c images and see what happens?

I’m not having any luck with resolutions greater than 1080p under Wayland GNOME (classic) on my Rockpi 4c but I can run GNOME X11 at 4K OK, using your kernel (with my pcie patch).

Which desktop or window manager do you use Pak0st?

EDIT

I just looked at your first post and I can see you’re running Plasma so I’ll try that now. GNOME’s wayland support has been better than KDE’s for several years but maybe I’ll be surprised and find KDE is now the better choice, on ARM devices?

EDIT 2

Nope. Plasma’s wayland session has the same problem as Wayland GNOME. It can’t handle resolutions greater than 1080p - the right horizontal third or so of the screen is not visible / heavily distorted on my 4c.

Looks like RK 4K support has finally made it upstream!

3 Likes

Have you tried the 6.4 rockchip supposedly 4K friendly driver yet @Pak0st , @spikerguy or anyone else?

I’ve should get my VisionFive 2 8GB tomorrow and thus begins my RISCV computing life!

I bought it because Haiku has been ported to it and there is an open source mesa driver for the GPU for a change. The sheer novelty factor of being able to run Haiku on it did it for me. The onboard ethernet isn’t working under Haiku yet so you’d have to use a USB ethernet or wifi adapter until the ethernet driver gets written.

It won’t be anywhere near as fast as the RockPi 4, nevermind the RockPi 5. The CPU is closer to the RaspberryPi 3 apparently.

I am on gnome 4k from 6.0 with rk3566. Graphic problems are for old socs.

This drm change is because drm in rockchip is weak. Hope there will be good news.

1 Like

I need to check with my devices but not sure when I will find some time to do so.
6.4 ought to have better support for sure especially for 4k.

Buuut my devices are finicky. QHD and WQHD as main ones (ElectriQ && Xiaomi) which may or may not be in the table. At least with 6.2 (or was that 6.1?) the ElectricQ had an image output which was previously missing without patches.
Worst case scenario if your monitor isn’t supported, it will fallback to 1080p as this is stable resolution.

1 Like