Right click menu theming issues with Gnome and Adwaita-maia-compact-dark

I was curious about Endeavour OS and Fedora 36 beta so I’ve been test driving them for the last couple of days. To make a long story short, they both kind of suck for my specific use-case so I had to come back to good old Manjaro Gnome, which I’ve been using for a good while now.

While I can’t say for sure if this was the same before, with this new installation I find the theme to be a little off. Specifically the right click contextual menu.

Notice the blank space at the bottom and the different sizes of padding on the left and right sides of the right click menu. I’m aware this may seem trivial to some, but it’s important to me and I find it unpleasant.

For comparison, here’s a right click menu that looks fine.

Is this how it’s supposed ot be? If not, how can I fix it?

Unfortunately, the upstream theme Adwaita-maia uses has been unmaintained for quite some time. We’ll see what we can do.

In any case, the point is moot for the time being. With GNOME 42 (coming soon™), there will be no custom theming available. However, once the Libadwaita Recoloring API is implemented, we should be able to add Maia to the color palette.

1 Like

I understand, thanks.

For your info: The left-right padding is the same for me. In your 2nd screenshot the ‘open with’ arrow has the same narrow padding as your top example. I think that is normal.

I don’t see the bottom line space shown in your 1st screenshot & I couldn’t find an example of it trying different windows & icon views.

I agree, that might very well be normal.

But this, I don’t think is normal because sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not.

I believe I can shed some light on this. The space at the bottom of the context menu has nothing to do with the Manjaro theme, but rather, is a bug(?) in GNOME.

If you’ll notice, the space only appears when you right click on a folder which you have write access to. Try copying a file to the clipboard and then right clicking on a folder (that you have write access to) and you’ll see that that the space is gone, and there is another option in the context menu called “paste into folder.”

The problem is the space appears to be a placeholder for the ‘paste into folder’ option. It should go away when there are no files copied to the clipboard, but persists as padding at the bottom of the context menu (but again, only for folders to which you have write access). I’ve tried other GNOME distros in the past like Ubuntu and Fedora and the problem is there, too. From what I could gather, at one point the bug was fixed, but persists again. For what it’s worth, it doesn’t show up in the Fedora 36 beta, so maybe it is fixed again…but who knows.