"RESTORE" Partition

Howdy! I’ve been using Manjaro for the last couple of weeks as in introduction for myself to Linux. Now, I’m wanting to switch to EndeavourOS + i3wm. So now I’m uninstalling Manjaro. Ok, so simple enough: I’m using a dual-boot setup (Windows has Disk 0, Linux has Disk 1) so I’ll just use Windows diskmgmt to format Disk 1. Here’s the problem: Where did this “RESTORE” partition come from? I remember seeing it in Thunar but I didn’t realize it was on my Windows Disk. Is this partition created by Windows or Manjaro? If Windows, which program would’ve likely made it? If Manjaro, how can I safely remove it from my Windows drive and how did it get there? Where did I go wrong?

I have a feeling this has been solved before, but unfortunately searching for “RESTORE partition” only brings up results about restoring a lost partition. I appreciate the assistance.

This is a windows partition created on installing windows :wink:

Do not delete it. Forget about it.

1 Like

Hello @aidanstewart05 and welcome :wink:

Since “RESTORE” is NTFS, it is for Windows. Most likely it was created by your vendor to “RESTORE” windows, so reset it.

2 Likes

It belongs to your Windows installation.
It has always been there.
Keep it.

hehe - I said: keep it - you said reset it :wink:
you are probably right - I thought this was the recovery partition I often saw on Windows installs - In which case I’d definitely keep it.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Seems like a really stupid question, but again, Google refused to help. :laughing:

Edit: And thanks to the devs for my time on Manjaro! It’s been a great distro for me to learn the ropes of Arch and Linux as a whole. :slight_smile:

The restore partition was likely part of the original OEM Windows installation. You bought the computer with Windows pre-installed, right? Extra partitions are common in that case, and should not be messed with.

Procedure to replace the Linux installation

1. Shutdown, turn off, and unplug your computer.
  2. Disconnect the Windows disk.
  3. Plug in the power again.
  4. Boot with the respective Linux Installer.
  5. Install and configure your flavour of Linux.
  6. Shutdown, turn off, and unplug your computer.
  7. Reconnect the Windows disk.
  8. Plug in the power again.
  9. Boot to your BIOS and select Linux as the first boot option.
  10. Reboot, and enjoy.

Important: Next time you boot into Windows

Disable Fast Startup (if enabled) from an administrative command prompt:

powercfg /h off

That is all. Cheers.

1 Like

There are no dumb questions!

Because you ask a question when you need to update your knowledge. Updating your knowledge is not stupid at all.

But sometimes there are stupid answers (that contain lies or lead in the wrong direction)
:footprints:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.