Resolved - Trying to switch to new kernel, but grub doesn't show in startup

As said above: /etc/grub.d/41_snapshots-btrfs should have been removed when removing the grub-btrfs package.
If it’s still there and does not belong to any package

$ pacman -Qo /etc/grub.d/41_snapshots-btrfs

then remove it manually:

$ sudo rm /etc/grub.d/41_snapshots-btrfs
$ sudo update-grub

It is possible to remove the script manually but it is preferable to do it properly, and understand why, IF he removed the package, the script is still there and messes with his grub. I think if we start to go with workaround it will not make it more understandable why he has issues in the first place. It may (and probably will) fix the current issue but it will add another mystery to the issue here.

//EDIT: at the end of the day if the user wants to fix this grub issue and don’t look for explanation, just delete manually the script file that’s OK, but there are lot of questions to be answered to understand the problem(s) here.

and to @freggel.doe on the first two replies after me:

   ~  sudo pacman -R grub-btrfs                                                                                      ✔  6s  
checking dependencies...

Packages (1) grub-btrfs-4.10.2-1

Total Removed Size:  0.07 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing grub-btrfs                                                       [##############################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/3) Refreshing PackageKit...
    ~  sudo rm /etc/grub.d/41_snapshots-btrfs                                                                         ✔  4s  
[sudo] password for fuzzy: 
rm: cannot remove '/etc/grub.d/41_snapshots-btrfs': No such file or directory
    ~  sudo update-grub                                                                                             1 ✘  5s  
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-rt-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-rt-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-rt-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.14-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...

I’m sorry if it appears that I am not looking for an explanation. But if you feel that you find that it is difficult to explain this issue to me. I won’t fuss you into doing so.

:man_facepalming:

So you didn’t remove the package when I asked you…

You said you did, but you obviously didn’t, as you removed it just now.
So what is the result? is it fixed? IF no, rinse and repeat, content of /boot/grub folder, and if there is a .new file, content of it too.

That’s not I don’t want to explain, I explain everything since start, but you don’t reply exactly to what is asked, you say things that aren’t true, so at the end it makes no sense…

you are not making anything clear.

OK you’re a troll, I’m definitely done this time no third chance, I’ll let the others finish it (it should already be finished anyway, 15 posts back), have fun.

Funny that would come from you. If you thought I was a waste of time, you should have stopped right there. But you didn’t.

I hope I’m not reopening a can of worms. I did find a solution that worked out well.

As removing grub-btrfs and grub-date has proven inadequate, The solution was to remove and then reinstall both grub-btrfs and grub and then reinstalled.

The latest version of the kernel is now up today.

This will be my final entry. And I will not be following this topic any further.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.