Resilio: "Unit resilio-sync.service not found"

Hi,
Some time ago I installed Resilio Sync and it went fine.

Now, I installed from pamac (AUR) and started following instructions at their website.

The first thing is to issue command:

sudo systemctl enable resilio-sync

But I get:

sudo systemctl enable resilio-sync                                                             ✔ 

[sudo] password for limo: 
Failed to enable unit: Unit file resilio-sync.service does not exist.
    ~  systemctl --user start resilio-sync                                                   1 ✘  4s  
Failed to start resilio-sync.service: Unit resilio-sync.service not found.
    ~     

How come it does not exist? I double checked it is installed!
How can I go ahead and enable the service?

P.S: I posted on their forum already 24 hrs… no response. They are not Manjaro comunity anyway.
I rebooted and tried again, same error.

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Arch wiki is the best
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Resilio_Sync

OK. Thanks
Now as per the link you gave me I did

// "proxy_username" : "my user name",
// "proxy_password" : "my password",
//  "directory_root" : "/home/limo/

Now I get

sudo nano /etc/rslsync.conf                                                         ✔  7m 12s  
    ~  sudo systemctl enable resilio-sync                                                     ✔  16s  

   ~  rslsync --dump-sample-config > ~/.config/rslsync/rslsync.conf                                1 ✘ 
zsh: no such file or directory: /home/limo/.config/rslsync/rslsync.conf
    ~                                                                                               1 ✘ 

Created /home/limo/.config/rslsync/rslsync.conf
Then

rslsync --dump-sample-config > ~/.config/rslsync/rslsync.conf

Went fine.
Then "sudo nano … rslsync.conf
and changed a few to be

"storage_path" : "/home/user name/.sync"

// "proxy_username" : "user",  
// "proxy_password" : "password",

//  "directory_root" : "/home/limo/",

/* preset credentials. Use password or password_hash */
//  ,"login" : "user"
//  ,"password" : "pwd" // (not recommended, better use 'password_hash_unified')

"shared_folders" :
  [
    {
      "secret" : "MY_SECRET_1", // required field - use --generate-secret in command line to create new secret
      "dir" : "/home/limo/resilio/sync_test", // * required field
      "use_relay_server" : true, //  use relay server when direct connection fails
      "use_tracker" : true,
      "search_lan" : true,

Then again

systemctl enable resilio-sync                                                        ✔  9m 8s  
    ~                                                             

I believe I am getting closer with the above… but wonder why still not working. I will reboot and see!

UPDATE: Rebooted and

systemctl enable resilio-sync  

without sudo a window pops asking for password then same error!
What am I missing or what I did wrong?

I wonder what does

Unit file resilio-sync.service does not exist

mean?

UPDATE: Reading I found

systemctl enable rslsync.service                                                               ✔ 
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/rslsync.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/rslsync.service.

Hopefully will work now.

It means you can’t read. Re-read again what is the actual service name.

Let me reword my question to make it clearer

Where and how should I get the file “resilio-sync.service”?
EDIT: and why it is no there?
Thanks @zbe

To repeat what @bogdancovaciu copy/pasted you already from archwiki:

Make the desired changes (e.g. login id and password) to those files prior to enabling

rslsync.service.

1 Like

I believe I did. In my post above I copied/pasted every step.
Now I could get to http://localhost:8888/gui/
Entered user name and password, cheked the checkbox, but I still have the button “Get started” is still dimmed/ disabled.

Given the steps I made above and the current status I believe I am a few steps away.
What I might be missing?
Sorry I am not that techie.

The AUR package provides rslsync.service file and NOT resilio-sync.service - so you have to start/enable, as per arch wiki, the rslsync.service

systemctl enable rslsync.service
1 Like

This

answers my question about resilio-sync.service`
Now, I did:

   ~  systemctl enable rslsync.service                                                             1 ✘ 
    ~  systemctl start rslsync.service                                                         ✔  4s  
    ~  sudo usermod -aG limo rslsync                                                           ✔  4s  
    ~  sudo chmod g+rw /home/limo/                                                             ✔  4s  
    ~  

and http://localhost:8888/gui/ still the “Get started” button is disabled.
Sorry if I am causing you lots of trouble, but I am not that techie.
I will appreciate your patience and help.
Thank you.

UPDATE:
changed

/* dir_whitelist defines which directories can be shown to user or have folders added (linux only)
   relative paths are relative to directory_root setting */
//  ,"dir_whitelist" : [ "/home/limo/" ]
  }

in ~/.config/rslsync/rslsync.conf

:sob:
I don’t know what I am doing wrong.
Maybe it is too complicated for me.

I hope maybe someone who already installed can help.
sorry to bother you guys.

Hey man, why are you using rolling distros then? If you want to learn skiing do you go to steepest, most treacherous hill that exists around you?

Why do you need some obscure bittorrent client, when there are other ones, in manjaro repos even?

We don’t know either. :smiley:

This is “easier” for me. Install once and that’s it. This is what I believe any OS should be.

I installed it before and on Manjaro + iPhone + Ipad (+ Windows old machine then, not any more). It was fine… didn’t find all this hassle before (and I was absolutely new to Manjaro/Arch). Maybe they did something in an update/upgrade that is causing all this.

I looked for alternatives here, but most are missing the Apple things.

I would highly appreciate if you give me recommendations if they can sync between Manjaro, iPhone, iPad (better if windows as well).

Though I feel I am almost there, just the disabled button in the GUI, I will keep trying for a while then I will roll back (Time Shift) to an earlier snapshot before reilio.

But you know what, I have distro hoped for about 4 months… till I am settled on Manjaro since about 4 months, for many reasons (you may look here to answer more to your questions why I am on Manjaro )
For me, I’m enjoying the wonderful community, forum and the distro.

Thats OK for me. The community here gave me a lot of support while the resilio forum didn’t even comment in more than 24 hours, may be they themselves don’t know :rofl:

Show me output of:

systemctl status rslsync.service
systemctl --user status rslsync.service

This looks wrong.
first line should contain an actual user name (and the whitespace between user and name looks odd, too

then, the last line here quoted:
// “directory_root” : “/home/limo/”,

is starting with //
which probably means that this is “commented out”
if you change the default, remove the //
or your edit will simply be ignored

But this is just speculation - I have never used the program nor have I seen the config file.

systemctl status rslsync.service                                                               ✔ 
● rslsync.service - Resilio Sync service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rslsync.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Mon 2022-06-27 19:35:03 EET; 14h ago
   Main PID: 329 (rslsync)
      Tasks: 19 (limit: 9331)
     Memory: 28.3M
        CPU: 1min 36.760s
     CGroup: /system.slice/rslsync.service
             └─329 /usr/bin/rslsync --nodaemon --config /etc/rslsync.conf

Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.477] CoreState: Network interfaces:
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.478] CoreState: Interface name: enp3s0 mac: f0:de:f1:fd>
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.478] CoreState: Interface name: lo mac: 00:00:00:00:00:>
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.478] CoreState:  Addr: 127.0.0.1:0
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.479] CoreState:  Addr: [::1]:0
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.479] CoreState: Interface name: wlp2s0 mac: 08:ed:b9:97>
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.479] CoreState:  Addr: 192.168.1.128:0
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.479] CoreState:  Addr: [fdb4:f58e:15ed:a500:e388:9d05:5>
Jun 28 09:46:34 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:34.479] CoreState:  Addr: [fe80::872b:49b8:cd13:4e26]:0
Jun 28 09:46:35 limo rslsync[329]: [20220628 09:46:35.480] SYS_RES: drive "/", id: 2050, capacity: 2321796833>
lines 1-20/20 (END)
systemctl --user status rslsync.service                                         INT ✘  1m 51s  
× rslsync.service - Resilio Sync per-user service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/rslsync.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-06-27 22:29:43 EET; 11h ago
   Duration: 2.025s
    Process: 7253 ExecStart=/usr/bin/rslsync --nodaemon --config /home/limo/.config/rslsync/rslsync.conf (cod>
   Main PID: 7253 (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
        CPU: 115ms

Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: [20220627 22:29:43.598] WORKER[0x00005591e5f6a1b0]: deleted
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: [20220627 22:29:43.598] Shutdown. Saving config sync.dat
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: **** ERROR ****
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: **** Unable to init WebUI. Exiting...
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: By using this application, you agree to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use >
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: https://www.resilio.com/legal/privacy
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: https://www.resilio.com/legal/terms-of-use
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo rslsync[7253]: https://www.resilio.com/legal/eula
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo systemd[447]: rslsync.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
Jun 27 22:29:43 limo systemd[447]: rslsync.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
lines 1-18/18 (END)

Hi @Nachlese

This sounds to me to be one of the reasons.
I would rather wait and hear from @zbe

Probably shouldn’t have enabled both system and user units. I’m telling you, read archwiki page on resilio, slowly.

I installed it for fun and started system service without any other config and it works, I mean webUI shows up, I entered some password and what not and all seems to be there.

I didn’t check any of your configs. You said it was working before, so I imagined you know what should be in those configs.

Well, I rolled back to an earlier snapshot then installed from AUR and followed precisely steps on their web site but used rslsync.service instead of “resilio-sync” as @bogdancovaciu mentioned.

To my surprise everything went smooth and I could go to the GUI, but still the “Get started” button is disabled.

This was the exact steps I did before (copy/paste commands from their website without any change) and worked instantly flawlessly.
It seems to me they made something that causes all this hassle!

UPDATE: I found a funny “feature” on their website. Someone using Ach had same problem… after several boots it worked! :rofl:

And I’m telling you for the n-th time: This isn’t Debian. Go read instructions on archwiki page!!

And by the way, even on their site they aren’t saying to enable both services. You just can’t read and don’t want to listen.

I did! I swear! I read!
Anyway… restarted and working fine now.
Thank you guys for your help and support that I didn’t even get from resilio.

Special thanks to @bogdancovaciu as the secret was in

Thank you very much, all of you.