Reroute Gnome Terminal requests to Konsole

So multiple games I play request to open the gnome terminal for log output and without the gnome terminal application the game refuses to launch
Id prefer if I didn’t have to have this terminal app when I use Konsole for everything else
So my question is, is there a way to reroute requests from programs to open the Gnome Terminal, to instead open Konsole and output there?
Some kinda of wrapper or fake executable?

Maybe provide information so the question is not vague like that. What games for a starter? Why do you think it requires the GNOME terminal emulator?

There is too much unknown to even start thinking replying to your question, maybe the question is wrong to start with. Maybe there are ways to do what is needed for the game to launch in Konsole, but first things first.

Two games specially

One a while ago, I was trying to play Stardew Valley Modded using SMAPI
I couldn’t get the game to run, eventually found out I had to install a separate terminal the game was trying to open, and wouldn’t run without it, Im 90% it was the gnome terminal, but that was on a different computer, altho running the same Manjaro KDE Plasma

The one today is Turing Complete, its alpha build wont open for me and when running from the console (Konsole) I get: sh: line 1: gnome-terminal: command not found
After installing the Gnome Terminal, the build opens correctly, with a Gnome Terminal window appearing

Indeed, apparently it is looking for GNOME Terminal. Can you post the content of the script you’re starting?

Its not a script Im starting, but a binary executable, the game itself

The command Im running is ./Turing\ Complete.x86_64
Im running it in the folder of the game with the binary executable, for me it is /home/erikan39/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Turing Complete/

Related issues:

Then I don’t think there is an easy way if it is a compiled binary looking for a specific application on the system… maybe there is a way to fake gnome-terminal executable locally and link it to Konsole:

ln -s /usr/bin/konsole /usr/bin/gnome-terminal as root (not good, only do if you know what you’re doing as it adds something into system folder that will conflict with gnome-terminal real package), or ln -s /usr/bin/konsole ~/.local/bin/gnome-terminal (best as it only does it locally for your user, if the ~/.local/bin folder doesn’t exist, create it first probably mkdir ~/.local/bin)

Try and see if it works.

The real issue here is the game devs looking for gnome-terminal, they shouldn’t, especially if it is only to spit out logs. Make a complaint to the devs.

1 Like

Ill try the ln -s /usr/bin/konsole ~/.local/bin/gnome-terminal and get back to you
Honestly I didn’t think it might be that simple, I assumed that Id have to create some wrapper program myself, or maybe there was one already out there

Regarding the devs looking specifically for the gnome terminal, I saw them say in the discord that this is temporary and will be removed
But since I ran into a similar issue before with SMAPI, I assumed Id run into it again in the future, and didnt want to reinstall gnome terminal every time

I don’t know if it will work, it was just a simple suggestion :smiley:

Unfortunately it does not work
I did get it to open Konsole instead, it just doesn’t use it or start the game
I think theres some specific api to the gnome terminal that its trying to use, not a console independent command line implementation
Worth a shot

Unless you know of a wrapper program from gnome-terminal to konsole, then Ill consider this answered with “I’d need to make the wrapper myself”

I don’t have any idea how it would be possible to make it work then if it requires some gnome-terminal specific “things” to work. Hopefully for you the devs will fix this issue sooner than later. Don’t forget to make your report on their GitHub to explain it is problematic that it requires the GNOME terminal specifically to start.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.