Replacing hardware (CPU, mobo) - running existing system installation?

Hello,
after about a year of just enjoying Manjaro with Plasma desktop (with a few starting pains which were overcome with the help of wonderful people here), time has come for some hardware updates.

Current configuration has Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B350 motherboard and 16GB of DDR4 RAM, is about 5-6 years old. In rendering and some more intensive games, I’ve started crashing into some walls, like just working my CPU for hours on 100% or just crashing the system when some games eat more RAM than the system can give.

CPU would still be AMD, most likely 7 7800x3D with a Gigabyte mobo and 32 GB of RAM.

System is currently installed on a encrypted btrfs (luks) partition on a 2 TB m.2 drive.

And now the question: What is needed software side to exchange and run new hardware? Will I need to reinstall whole system, or is it possible just to uninstall old drivers, install new ones, with most likely tweaks to the BIOS stuff on mobo?

Nothing. Just boot up, all drivers are already present via the kernel.

One addendum: if you swap between an Nvidia GPU and a GPU from anyone else, you might have drivers to install (if going to Nvidia) or remove (if going to AMD or Intel).

If you’ve installed any other drivers which aren’t in the kernel (e.g. Wifi/network drivers), it’s probably a good idea to get rid of them too; it won’t hurt anything now, but if they become unsupported you could end up stuck on an old kernel for no good reason in the future.

I don’t have first hands experience for exactly YOUR scenario. In the past i bought a Linux Laptop and i created a backup (from my PC) from the Home Partition. I installed Manjaro and installed also all Program’s and executed them all 1by1 (to create config files, because otherwise i was running into bugs)… I also created a Timeshift snapshot (if something goes wrong).

Then i switched to Life Environment (usb bootstick) and replaced my User Profile which had exactly the same nickname as the User Profile from my PC and overwrite everything.

Get sure the Userrights fits to your account, after that i could use my Linux Laptop with my duplicated User Account!

But if you don’t reinstall, from my understand you need to watch out, if you used Process Governor for OC… get sure its changed to default settings.

Is it possible that the UUID’s changed when switching SATA/NVMe Ports because of new MB?
If this is the case, then i guess you may need to edit fstab/grub to adjust the new UUID’s.

All driver’s in the Kernel yeah, but what about his RAM? Isn’t there some allocation’s somewhere that need’s to adjusted that the system will get used 32Gbyte instead the 16Gbyte?

That might be a consideration when (for example) allocating swap space, if that allocation was already small to begin with, however, it should nonetheless install with a minimum of complication.

2 Likes

That’s sounds amazing, how much more userfriendly Linux is when switching System’s as the pain in the ass Windows is.

How many times i reinstalled Windows 17 years ago, because of Hardware changes… oh good, you don’t want to know that number :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone, eased my mind a lot.

As for other hardware, everything will stay the same, at least for some time, so it should be ok, only thing I was worried mostly was the encrypted partition stuff, but thinking if I just “copy”, or in better terms, just set up boot stuff the same as on old mainboard, it should be ok. Might need to download a newer live usb just in case, current one is about a year old :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.