Replace python-sgmllib with extra/python-sgmllib3k / failed to prepare transaction

That’s basically normal process with AUR packages, if they block system update, you remove them, update the system and then reinstall them, or if they break after update you rebuild them. Basic procedure.

1 Like

Now to think of it couldn’t I have just stopped the Emby service and have the updates install without issue then start it’s service again?

No, the package manager doesn’t care if you run programs, it looks for installed packages.

I keep getting the below. I don’t want to force install the file cause I do not want to break Emby. I’ve updated the mirrors to see if that would resolve the issue and no it didn’t.

   ~  sudo pacman -Syu                                                                    ✔ 
[sudo] password for locutus: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 chaotic-aur                   1569.2 KiB  2.48 MiB/s 00:01 [################################] 100%
 herecura is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: gsettings-desktop-schemas: local (41.0-1) is newer than extra (40.0-3)
:: Replace python-sgmllib with extra/python-sgmllib3k? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing x264 (3:0.163.r3060.5db6aa6-1) breaks dependency 'libx264.so=161-64' required by emby-server-beta

Emby is from the AUR, so you need to wait for the maintainer to update this package.

So I can’t do any of today’s testing updates then? I don’t think that is accurate with the number of apps that depend on that file. Emby may the one mentioned but make no mistake if one attempts to remove it one gets a whole list of other apps that the system wants to remove as well.

Remove your AUR package, and update, but then if the AUR package is not updated you probably will not be able to reinstall it. Anyway you should report the issue to the AUR package maintainer, as this is not a Manjaro issue (and still the AUR issues should be reported from Arch users).

omano please see my thread which I linked to above. Thanks

I don’t see in the PKGBUILD of AUR (en) - emby-server-beta that they depend on the actual version. But they compile their own ffmpeg which would fail if you update the dependent library.

Remove emby-server-beta, update your system, and then rebuild the package.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emby-server-beta/

But please reply in my linked thread instead of here. It’s not fair to everyone else to keep posting in the testing update thread. Thanks

In the future, please do not post about AUR packages in Announcement threads as they are not related to Manjaro updates. I’ve merged all the posts into one thread.

1 Like

I didn’t post it in announcements, I posted it in the main support section. It’s been move more than once.

Excuse me? No, pamac is both. I only use pamac and I hardly use the GUI.
pacman is only CLI, AFAIK.

I always recommen pamac because it’s deevelopeed for Manjaro by Manjaro. While pacman, as awesome as it is, is developed for Arch. And since Manjaro is a fork of Arch, it works. But it doesn’t have all the Manjaro customisations that pamac has.

In the future watch the tone. All you needed to say is that I didn’t know all the features of Pamac. I myself use the Pamac GUI to look for a package and install it with Pacman or Yay and do ALL updates with Topgrade.

There was nothing wrong with my tone. I simply highlighted a couple of word to make them stand out more, be clearer, because I know how easy it is to confuse pacman and pamac.

I didn’t mean to offend and if that’s the way you’re taking this, well, then I really don’t think there’s anything I could say that’ll convince you differently.

But, I’m sorry if my attitude offended anyone. That wasn’t my intention.

1 Like

I think we both know that there was a problem with your tone.

Hey kids play nice.
You were offended. You were offended. Now everyone is offended.
The topic remains SOLVED.

1 Like

You did, actually. I split 7 posts from the Testing Update thread to your duplicate thread before I realized you already had this thread about the same thing, then merged that thread here.

1 Like

The fist post in Testing was in the right place. it was there to inform of the issue and point to the thread I created about the issue in case others had the same issue and came looking for a solution, so there actually was no need for you post here about not posting in announcements. The fact that others responded to my post their is on them.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.