Removing jdk-openjdk package from Pamac doesn't remove the files

I installed jdk-openjdk package from official (extra) repositories through Pamac (gui) and then removed it. It doesn’t seem to remove files associated with it because I can still see everything related to java-16 in /usr/lib/jvm/java-16-openjdk directory.

Is this intentional or am I doing something wrong?

jdk-openjdk package does not contain v16 but v17, you installed v16 from another package or another source.

Stable is still on 16 as far as I can tell…
(example - random mirror Index of /stable/extra/x86_64/)

@lame That is certainly not expected behavior.
Does anything own the directory?

pacman -Qo /usr/lib/jvm/java-16-openjdk

/usr/lib/jvm/java-16-openjdk/ is owned by jre-openjdk 16.0.2.u7-1
/usr/lib/jvm/java-16-openjdk/ is owned by jre-openjdk-headless 16.0.2.u7-1

How so, if you uninstalled the package(s)?

Well so if you do uninstall them …

pamac remove jre-openjdk jre-openjdk-headless 

Do the directories/files exist?

ls /usr/lib/jvm/

I used the GUI (Pamac) to uninstall. It still shows as package not installed. I tried installing again and removing just to make sure, and it is still the same.

… pacman seems to think the package is installed.

Can you please post any of these transactions and their outcomes?

Yes. Following command uninstalled it correctly. Could this be a bug in the GUI?

pamac remove jre-openjdk jre-openjdk-headless 

same here,i installed it a few moths ago and removed it,then stumbled upon this post,and checking in Pamac it still shows as installed.(i mean jre-openjdk jre-openjdk-headless ,not jdk-openjdk)

hm… so what about

sudo pacman -Rns jre-openjdk jre-openjdk-headless

(and check for existence again)

I honestly dont use pamac … but if this is a bug it should be reported.

i’ll leave it for now,as i see in it’s dependencies Alsa-lib and don’t want to break stuff.

Makes sense - I didnt know why (and would not necesarilly advise), just responding to how.
Maybe the point was that you did not have ‘remove deps’ or similar activated while you attempted to uninstall and were thus (silently?) blocked?
Again - impossible to know without output or more information.

(pacman -Rns automatically selects dependencies not needed by anything else … you could probably just -R, but again … likely inadvisable)

yes; “remove un-required dependencies” is unchecked in my Pamac.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.