Remove / reinstall dkms

dkms is working great when an update of the 5.15 kernel series arrives. dkms installs drivers for virtualbox and a wifi usb adapter on my system.
This fails when I try to install a 6.1 lts series kernel via mhwd. Somehow building the modules fail.

(3/5) Install DKMS modules ==> dkms install --no-depmod vboxhost/7.0.6_OSE -k 6.1.12-1-MANJARO Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.1.12-1-MANJARO (x86_64) Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/7.0.6_OSE/build/make.log for more information. ==> WARNING: 'dkms install --no-depmod vboxhost/7.0.6_OSE -k 6.1.12-1-MANJARO' exited 10

The error indicates that in the make process programs are not available.
I have researched this and asked guidance on this issue on the forum. One issue leads to another and a solution seems not in sight.
I suspect that something whent wrong when struggling with linux-headers and installing a vbox driver without dkms a long time ago.

My conclusion for now is that is probably better for me (not a linux programmer) to completely remove and re-install dkms before doing the 6.1 kernel install.

What would be the best approach / steps to fully remove and re-install?

I have the same issue when I update to a newer kernel so I have been reinstalling virtualbox-host-dkms and nvidia-dkms after updating to the newer kernel while logged in on the older kernel.They will then build for the newer kernel and once they do I can reboot into the newer kernel and it works ok.

Yes! Thanks very much!

dkms status
rtl88x2bu/5.13.1.r189.12cfcd8, 5.15.122-1-MANJARO, x86_64: installed
rtl88x2bu/5.13.1.r189.12cfcd8, 6.1.41-1-MANJARO, x86_64: installed
vboxhost/7.0.10_OSE, 5.15.122-1-MANJARO, x86_64: installed
vboxhost/7.0.10_OSE, 6.1.41-1-MANJARO, x86_64: installed

We have linux61 6.1.41-1 and virtualbox 7.0.10-1 in all branches. Make sure you are fully up to date: Pacman-mirrors - Manjaro

Yes, sorry, the ‘clip’ with the error was from a build a while ago. In my reply to straycat you can see my system is up-todate. Thanks for your response / perceptiveness!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.