Remove Favourites from Nemo

Hi,
Is there a way to remove ‘Favourites’ from ‘Nemo’ (in the left column between ‘Home’ and File System’) I don’t have a use for it! I looked in the preference but could not find anything. I assume it is meant to hold files and/or folders that I want easy quick access to.

remove the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks however - this will only remove the entries - not the header.

Edit → Preferences → File management preferences → Context Menus → Visible Entries

Thanks it’s no longer in the ‘Context Menus’ but how do I remove it from the ‘Treeview’ menu on the left??

Thanks, but it’s the ‘Favourites’ I want to get rid off, not the ‘Bookmarks’

What you are looking for are the XDG settings.

The user settings are in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
System wide they are in /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf

Good luck…

Thanks for the suggestion, but ‘Favourites’ are not at either of those location
/.config/user-dirs.dirs contains entries for: Desktop, Downloads, Templates, Public, Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos
/etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf contains (other than commented explanations) enable=True, and filename_encoding=UTF-8

‘Favourites’ is a recent addition to ‘Nemo’ maybe to recent for someone to have figured out how to remove or disable it…

Attach a screenshot.

Screenshot of .config/user-dirs.dirs

Screenshot of /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf

Screenshot of the menu you are referring to.

Mouse points to the ‘Favorites’ directory. This is the entry I wish to remove. I already remove it from the ‘context right click menu’ as suggested by “joe-77”

I’m not sure if Manjaro-Cinnamon implementation of Nemo is the same as Linux Mint-Cinnamon, but if it is, here is a link to the ‘New features in Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon’ you will find details of the new ‘Favorites’ features half way down the page.
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyssa_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

Thanks

Post a screenshot of the Favorites menu expanded.

Never mind… the Favorites menu will show up in the Tree View mode regardless. It cannot be removed. If you don’t want to see it, use the Folder View, first icon on bottom left.

Thanks for looking into it! I do prefer the ‘Tree View’ mode, so I will have to live with it for now. I did tried to change the yellow icon to a grey star so that at least it’s not so ‘In your Face’, but even that did not take!?
Oh well, maybe in a few months time when ‘Mint 20.2’ is released, they will have added an option to enable/disable the ‘Favorites’ function! I feel almost a bit embarrassed for asking to remove a function that has plenty of ‘Praise’ from ‘Mint’ users, but that’s what Linux is all about ‘Freedom of Choice’ Not been stuck with what a company thinks you want/need.

I like take this opportunity to say that I am very happy and impressed with the ‘Manjaro’ community! I did ask the same question on the ‘Mint forum’ but I did not get a single reply?
Thank you to the Manjaro community - I think I will stick with Manjaro. :smiley: :hugs:

1 Like

Its in nemo “preferences/context menus” just untick the favourites box

Thank ‘robin0800’ that only removes it from the ‘right-click’ menu and I already done that. What’s left to do is:

1. Remove the entry ‘Add to favorites’ from the ‘edit’ menu in the ‘Menubar’
  2. Remove ‘Favorites’ and it’s icon from the ‘Sidebar’ when in Treeview

If you know how - please let me know. Thanks