Remmina does not have VNC support

I use Remmina fairly frequently to connect to another desktop. Recently I upgraded my computer with new hardware and did a fresh install of Manjaro XFCE. I just installed remmina and there are no options to connect to a VNC server.

Screenshot_2021-12-06_07-59-12

I’m pretty sure Remmina is supposed to be VNC-capable by default, and I’m pretty sure it was the last time I installed it. But I might be missing something so I went looking around for plugins, and searched for “vnc” in pamac but there’s nothing obvious that I should download. I have also verified that the VNC server on the remote machine is running.

Am I missing something?

Hi @el_maquinisto,

While I don’t personally use Remmina or VNC, I did take a look. It seems like VNC support is a plugin:

And after searching a bit, it would seem it is in the AUR:

$ pamac search remmina

remmina-plugin-ultravnc                                                                                                                                                                     1.3.0.0-2                 AUR
A protocol plugin for Remmina to connect via VNC using UltraVNC viewer.

So it would seem it can be easily installed with pamac:

pamac build remmina-plugin-ultravnc

Hope this helps!

No need for AUR.

VNC plugin is an optional dependency when installing Remmina from Community repo.

So just need to reinstall from official repo and take note of choosing the right dependencies.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help. I swear this worked by default last year… or maybe I just didn’t forget to add that optional package… Anyway. I re-installed Remmina, this time also adding in the optional libvncserver package, and everything is working as expected.

Funny how things work when you install the right packages :exploding_head:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.