Reinstalling an existing system

Hello, something has gone peculiar with my system and despite endless suggested cures I’ve had no luck eliminating my problems which are : desktop icons don’t work, then they do, then they don’t, then the programs are slow (particularly Thunar), random freezes. So I thought the easiest and quickest way before I gathered too much data (I’m a new user as I’m sure you’ve guessed) I’d just reinstall.

Reading the Wiki it seems I can reinstall just the system and the installer will ignore my Home folder - is this correct? Is there any advice anyone can offer before I embark on this?

Many thanks,

Martin

If you have lot’s of issue they might have been casued by your settings in your /home folder as well, you could potentially keep your issues. I would rather recommend to ignore your current install and to retinker it after a fresh install. Make notes what you adjust, then it will be easier next time you bork your system. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello Wollie and thanks for the quick reply.

So, if I’m understanding you I should rather just save everything (data-wise) and then reinstall?

As a new user I haven’t yet gathered too much data although it will be a horrible job to reinstall as I’ve just got everything as I wanted it! :frowning:

I was hoping the last update would over-write my problems but no luck.

Thanks again,

Martin

Sure, always back up your valuable data.

No, your data will be wiped from your home unless you made a separate partition (or block device) for it and you tell the installer to preserve it

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hello El_Brujo. I thought it was too good to be true!

I just wish I knew what problem it is I’ve got. I’m sure it’s something in the screen management side of things but what…?

It’s very frustrating.

Thanks for the reply - at least I know to not expect that to work! :slight_smile:

ATB

Martin

There is a couple of extensive answers to that question already.

Hello linux-aarhus. This is very comprehensive - thank you for pointing it out to me.

I’m going to have to really digest this before I make any attempt with it! I can see the thrust of it and understand (mostly) what’s going on I just need the nerve to try it. :slight_smile:

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Best wishes,

Martin

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.