RE: Trying to stream AV1 in OBS Studio

Just FYI @cprn

Continuing the discussion from the unsolvable closed topic Trying to stream AV1 in OBS Studio:

OBS studio supports for native AV1 encoding using VA-API hardware acceleration now.

1 Like

AFAIU it didnā€™t get a new release yet. Iā€™m currently on ffmpeg-obs 6.1.1-4 (20th Jan) and obs-studio 30.0.2-1 (14th Dec) - the only options mentioning AV1 in OBS are:

• SVT-AV1 - ā€œAn encoder error occurred while recording: Encoder SVT-AV1 is taking too long to encode (timeout: 5 seconds)ā€
  • QuickSync AV1 - ā€œStarting the output failed. Please check the log for details. Note: If you are using the NVENC or AMD encoders, make sure your video drivers are up to date.ā€
  • AOM AV1 - ā€œAn encoder error occurred while recording: Encoder AOM AV1 is taking too long to encode (timeout: 5 seconds)ā€

Thereā€™s no FFmpeg VAAPI AV1 yet.

Interestingly enough running the following seems to work:

ffmpeg -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -hwaccel_output_format vaapi -i input.mp4 -c:v av1_vaapi -c:a copy output.mp4

So maybe itā€™ll hit OBS soon.

it works with this OBS from AUR. i tried recording and streaming
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/18fihi5/obs_with_av1_support_is_now_in_the_aur/

or you wait for the next update

1 Like

Yeah, I can confirm, streaming 4k60 to yt @ 16000 kbps results in a crisp and smooth image! Unfortunately yt still re-encodes it to vp9 so thereā€™s some occasional blurriness here and there when thereā€™s a lot (like a lot) happening on the screen but it seems to be working fine. Thanks!

This solves my previous thread.

i tried AV1 and opus for sound. fully open codecs but yt still makes VP9 out of it. i dont know how you can force AV1 encoding on yt

Yeah, you seeing VP9 as a stream viewer doesnā€™t mean AV1 streaming isnā€™t working. Itā€™s just even when youā€™re successfully streaming AV1 encoded video, yt doesnā€™t support it yet when broadcasting to viewers, so they re-encode the video to VP9 on their servers. IDK if itā€™s because browsers have issue with receiving raw AV1 still or yt is just late implementing the feature but I remember hearing somewhere itā€™s supposed to be added this year and then theyā€™ll be able to broadcast the exact same stream youā€™re uploading, without re-encoding, which should mean very very low latency - no more delay between stream and chat, yay! :slight_smile: Well, but not yet.

I mean uploading AV1 encoded videos. They also get reencoded to VP9, even if there are AV1 videos on yt. but quality seems fine so i dont really care. the only thing i wanted was recording gameplay without hitting my CPU too hard and now with the AUR OBS my CPU usage nearly stays the same, when recording