(rc=-1912) The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox

RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

‘/sbin/vboxconfig’

may correct this. Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from different sources.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn’t match the version of the user.

[user1@user1-systemproductname ~]$ vboxmanage --version
6.1.20r143896
[user1@user1-systemproductname ~]$

and i need this version of VirtualBox
I specifically installed it from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.20/VirtualBox-6.1.20-143896-Linux_amd64.run

[user1@user1-systemproductname ~]$ uname -r
5.16.2-1-MANJARO
[user1@user1-systemproductname ~]$

Did you reboot after the update?

Yes, rebooted

The current version for 5.16 is 6.1.30-3 ( linux516-virtualbox-host-modules )

Did you install the correct modules?

(pamac install linux516-virtualbox-host-modules)

I understand you, but, no, 6.1.30 is not suitable for my purposes, I only need 6.1.20.
I specifically installed it from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.20/ by

sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.20-143896-Linux_amd64.run

Please tell me what to do to make it work?

Then maybe you are on your own. Manjaro keeps rolling.

:man_shrugging:

This is what the question is. How to solve the problem? How to install 6.1.20 correctly so that the assemblies do not mix? How to install version 20 working environment instead of version 30 working environment? Rebuild the kernel? What do you need?

Maybe this will help: [SOLVED]Installing an old version of VirtualBox / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

Dumb question: Why? Something wrong with 6.1.30?

2 Likes

Please refer this

Under conditions of strict hardware limitations, problems can arise with new software, no matter how good it is, it does not inherit everything correctly! If you don’t have it, then you can ignore it. For example, need to install an old version of virtualbox, since starting with version 6.1.0 virtualbox requires a processor with vt-x, which mine does not have. (see link above from ydar (rc=-1912) The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox - #8 by ydar)

Are you trying to say you have a hardware incompatibility with the version 6.1.30?

I think so.

In that case, you have to uninstall everything from VirtualBox from the repos and use the manual way that you are doing.

This means you have to compile the modules yourself. You already found the run file which is probably the best starting point.

You also found the FTP page with the old versions, fancy this, there is also a PDF with the steps you have to do: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.20/UserManual.pdf

No, I have a software incompatibility of new versions with my old development software and its products, the incompatibility starts from version 6.1.22

I discovered this quite unexpectedly and confirmed it with a lot of tests, although there is nothing surprising here, more and more old technologies are no longer supported by new systems.

Are you not using, for example, Visual Studio 2010? Then versions > vbox 6.1.20 are not terrible for you))

berligostr

said

sudo DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade virtualbox

and choose the version you need, don’t forget to check if it’s blocked from updates in pamac gui